Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to include a copy of my insurance to all potential customers but my carrier won't let me have a copy unless the potential client goes to their website. What is that all about? Why do you suppose this is an issue and I can't flat-out have a hard copy of my policy? Any ideas?

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
You're reply should have been, "Give me a certificate of insurance before I cancel it and go with another company who will!"

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was rude that they want me to tell a potential client to visit a website to check if I have insurance. That's what I wound up doing anyway but still, can't anything get done on the phone anymore?

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
some building depts here require them to be a certificate holder, I would tell them one more time to get me copies if not their competition will.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would like to include a copy of my insurance to all potential customers but my carrier won't let me have a copy unless the potential client goes to their website. What is that all about? Why do you suppose this is an issue and I can't flat-out have a hard copy of my policy? Any ideas?
Call your broker or agent and they will explain why to you. I don't want to air it out here but they do have a legitimate reason for doing it and will tell you why if you ask. You do have a hard copy of your policy it should have been given to you when you got your policy. You should not share that with anyone, again your broker or agent can explain why. Your "hard copy" and a certificate of insurance are not the same thing.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Insurance fraud

My insurance company does the same thing
It’s a good selling point, tell the customer never allow a contractor to hand them a certificate, why
Insurance fraud
You can tell the customer that you run an honest company, and that a lot of other contractors copy an old cert. and change the dates, names, etc.; you however avoid this fraud by not touching the document, and will have cert. mailed

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^

Ok, that makes sense. I just got of the phone with them after requesting the certificate via email and they tell me they can send the certificate if they have a name of a customer. It just seems like one more layer of BS to have to go through for myself and for my customer. What a PITA.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My ins broker requires that the cert be made out to someone. They'll send it any way you prefer.

For just a generic copy to provide clients on an as needed basis or until a current one is needed directly from my broker I get a copy of one they sent out (pdf or I scan a mailed copy) and photo shop out the clients information. I now have a generic copy.

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
Perhaps you can get a generic copy. The HOME IMPROVEMENT LIC requires us to write a contract on any job over 500.00 and provide insurance certificate. The insurance company should know this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Could it be that you make payments on your policy rather than paying annually? My company faxes a copy to the customer. We don't do it very often but, never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A certificate of insurance is..
1) worthless as proof of insurance except on the date noted on the certificate....it only proves you HAD insurance.
2) isn't necessary since in MOST states that require a contractor to be licensed and insured, the insurance must be in place before a license is issued. No insurance...no license...all a customer needs to do is check to see if the license is ACTIVE currently.
3) meaningless to other contractors that hire subs. A contractor must be added to the policy as an additional loss payee and a copy sent to them FROM the INSURANCE company. Any idiot can show you a certificate of insurance.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Just request a copy naming John Doe as the cert holder, the cert should show a one year current date range, Run off copies, include with your estimates. GMOD

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Whenever a certificate is mailed or faxed to a customer we get a copy by the same means to our office. I will copy a current one, replace any customer info with our company info and run off copies as needed. Every new prospect gets 2 pages of references and a copy of both liability and wc certs, all stapled together.

We do tell the prospect that we altered the document to protect the privacy of the certificate holder and recommend they call they agent to verify coverage. (Agents phone is on the cert and highlighted by us) We also recommend that they do the same for any contractor they are considering and then verify again just before the job starts. I suspect that very few do.

My agent explained to me why they won't issue a generic certificate, which I have forgotten because I've been doing this for a number of years. I think it is a good sales tool. Step 1, get in the door and remove shoes. Step 2, hand out the references and insurance certificate. Very well received.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just request a copy naming John Doe as the cert holder, the cert should show a one year current date range, Run off copies, include with your estimates. GMOD
This is all I have ever had to do, when someone requests one, I just call my agent with the customers name & they Fax it to me. My Certificate of Liability shows the amount of coverage I have & the policy expiration date. I also believe they are good for 1yr with that Customer...............

·
Registered
929 Posts
My understanding is that a cert sent to a client in their name means they will be notified if I cancel the policy. I have a copy of the cert that is sent to the city of my license. I show that to anyone. If they want a cert in their name I call my agent & get it to them by fax or snail mail, usually on the same day. If anyone's in a rush to see a cert in their name I can usually get it during business hours in less than an hour by visiting my agent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My experience is that I ask contractors to provide a certificate of insurance when they have been awarded the job. The certificate of insurance, as listed on my specs, requires listing of certain added insureds.

As a marketing tool, I would say just tell your potential clients with who and how much of insurance you carry. You can do this in your proposal.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Upon being awarded a job, I call my agent with the customers information and they will fax, as well as mail a copy to both of us. As a general rule, I always have the agent send a cert out to all contractors that I do repeat business with annually, regardless of whether I have pending contracts with them or not. It's a good way to keep my company name in the back of their minds.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's right. I always get an annual copy of GC certificates of insurance mailed to me annually from companies my GC contacts use.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
My agent issued a copy to me to include with my proposals. It lists my coverages and has the named insured as SAMPLE. I explain to my customers that they may contact my agent to verify my policy, and if awarded the project they will send them a copy.

Tiger is correct that a cert. sent to a client will be notified if the policy is cancelled prior to the expiration date.

I have heard differing opinons on including a copy of insurance. Some like it, others say it makes them think I am worried they will need to use it! What are your opinions/experiences?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts