Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cash in? Call your old customers up and confess your sins.....
Seriously, I see that they are paying $34 per sq and up. Before or after lawyer fees? (generally 1/3)

This year they pd. $25 a sq on 10 yr-12 yr old Custom Seadon's. I would assume they would be near the bottom of this settlement number, right above Sealdon 20/ 25's.

We'll need more info here going forward

·
Registered
67 Posts
let me get this strait.

if i followed certainteeds program of selling "good, better, and best" and showed my customers xt's, landmarks, and independence, and did my job correctly, now 10 years later, when the "best" turned out to be junk, certainteed will now cover the approximate cost of tearing off and disposing of their product.

if i showed sealdon, xt's, and landmarks, and the customer chose "good", they ain't even covering disposal.

oh yea, customers are gonna love this.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Every one of the shingles mentioned in that link are garbage. The GAF 3 tabs aren't any better, with the Timberlines close behind.

The hail storms helped these companies tremendously. They should step up to the plate and get these shingles into the landfill. They are just dragging their name through the dirt by keeping them around.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Roofer Dan, read your warranty document. All any manufacturer is responsible to cover is depreciated material costs. This is not outside the norm of any manufacturer. I do not fault any manufacturer that lives up to their warranty. if youd on't like their warranty, don't sell/buy their product. Or you may consider upselling their sure start warranties which do cover labor and disposal. Not bad for $100 on each job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i supose you're right. it's just a bit disheartening, that's all.

there is a small suburb of cleveland that requires the shingles to be at least 300 lb. per sq. the area is "well to do" to say the least. for all of my customers in this little burg, i sold them the "cry once" roof system.

this means all copper drip edge, copper flashings, 6' of ice guard at all drain edges, special ice guard details at the (copper) valleys, 30 lb felt, shingle vent II, morter crowns, tuck pointing, siloxane treatments at chimneys, and independence shingles. 20 year laber warranty, and certainteeds 40 year warranty on the materials. big money jobs. and we got about a doz. of them in just this small burg.

i ain't looking forward to tell these folks that the roofs shot due to a shingle defect, and certainteed's willing to pony up 10-15% of the replacement cost.

on top of that, the company i sub from was installing one of the product lines mentioned in the link by the semi truck load. good thing we were only using them for a couple years. probably only 2-3000 jobs.

i guess it could be worse. could be like globe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree, not much a contractor can get from this, you certainly can't go to your customers and tell them you sold them an inferior product 10 yrs ago, lets try another brand name or? Do you think they are going to trust you now? Living in a numerous Hail area has saved us on most of these, everyone blames it on hail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts