Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the electrician pros here , please.

Certain lighting sconces have zero tolerance for even slight incorrect depth of the mounting bracket. This can especially be a pita when using remodel boxes, as I'm sure many of you guys are aware. I'm referring to sconces with the side-mount screws, so that if the back of the bracket isn't perfectly flat and plumb to the wall, the fixture can sag. And even when it is perfect, sometimes the fixture sags anyway...know what I mean? How do you guys tackle jobs like these? A couple times I've installed a backer, then used a pancake box instead so I can shim/tweak the depth, but that's a hassle. There's got to be a better way. What do you guys do with these types of over-heavy-yet-poorly-designed fixtures (besides curse them)? Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, basically just curse them, haha. You can only tweak it so much using screws, and I use whatever is convenient to shim something up to make it look decent. Half the time what you see as an installer and perfectionist, the customer would never look twice at or see what's wrong.

Making sure it's electrically sound is #1, #2 is trying to make it look perfect.

If it don't work, blame it on the wall being out of plumb!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I always carry misc washers and plastic shims

I have no problems bending and re-drilling brackets to make things just right....pita yes but worth the end result you betcha

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I keep all the washers, spacers, screws, etc. Still run into aggravation on occasion.

Yesterday I had to snug up some sconces (sagging and off the wall) that were previously installed on "old work" round boxes. Naturally, the mounting plate they used were getting pushed off the wall by the thickness of the box flange. Side-mount screws - even better. I ended up scoring the paper behind the flange and peeling it off to recess the flange.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts