Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the installer set last week (£255) as I have just had a new drill
I thought it was expensive when I bought it but justified it by saying its Just over £2.50 per bit.

Tonight in the post I had a leaflet from screwfix and in it was a bit set from dewalt 100 piece for £20
I could have bought over 12 of them for the same money!!!

Have we all been brainwashed?

I can generally see the value in quality items but sometimes i think i must be going mad.

The centrotecs will snap, go blunt, get lost & borrowed just the same as cheaper bits.

Am I losing my mind?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
carpenter uk said:
I bought the installer set last week (£255) as I have just had a new drill I thought it was expensive when I bought it but justified it by saying its Just over £2.50 per bit. Tonight in the post I had a leaflet from screwfix and in it was a bit set from dewalt 100 piece for £20 I could have bought over 12 of them for the same money!!! Have we all been brainwashed? I can generally see the value in quality items but sometimes i think i must be going mad. The centrotecs will snap, go blunt, get lost & borrowed just the same as cheaper bits. Am I losing my mind?
I ain't snapped one bit yet. The brad pint bits are possibly the best I ever used. They make my dewalt brad points feel blunt. I only use the kit for nice work I know there's no nails or screws in though so prob why I ain't broken any yet. I do use the torx bits in my impact though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ain't snapped one bit yet. The brad pint bits are possibly the best I ever used. They make my dewalt brad points feel blunt. I only use the kit for nice work I know there's no nails or screws in though so prob why I ain't broken any yet. I do use the torx bits in my impact though.
Thats good to know:thumbsup:

They will have to be my "special" bits and I will make sure the lads who with me dont know Ive got them:whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah that's a little stupid.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Metro M & L said:
Yeah, that set is retarded. 400 bucks for some drill bits. The germans are laughing their kraut stained arses off.!
Quality tools ain't cheap. can't remember what I paid for my set but it was worth every penny. It's the perfect set to have with the CXS too. The crazy thing is they were selling for more money used than new. They are quality sets. There's also a lot of parts inside the kit. Makes it a very cheap way to buy quality bits. Plus you get them in a t-loc. Yeah you can buy dewalt, Bosch kits for 1/5th that and probably kobakt sets for 1/10th that but there ain't any comparison in quality between them.

I also bought me the zobo bits. Yeah I can 50 more Frostner bits made by porter cable for the same money but they ain't nothing anywhere near the same thing. I only use them on nice work like the centrotec kit. Whole different realm of bit quality.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oh I agree that good tools are expensive...but no Robertson bits?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Oh I agree that good tools are expensive...but no Robertson bits?
Yeah that is a odd one. They are a limited edition item over here so i guess not set up for the US market. in the UK i seen robertson drives about 3x on random projects but had never seen a driver bit to remove them.

It does come with loads of pozi drives that are almost useless over here as i have only seen them about 3x over here lol.

You can buy centrotec bits in robertson drive though from other sellers in the UK. cant remember who make mine.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah that is a odd one. They are a limited edition item over here so i guess not set up for the US market. in the UK i seen robertson drives about 3x on random projects but had never seen a driver bit to remove them.

It does come with loads of pozi drives that are almost useless over here as i have only seen them about 3x over here lol.

You can buy centrotec bits in robertson drive though from other sellers in the UK. cant remember who make mine.
Kinda my point, you get a king's ransom in useless bits and none of the ones you need for 400 bucks.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Kinda my point, you get a king's ransom in useless bits and none of the ones you need for 400 bucks.
Well you get 3 centrotec bits you cant use and a few single bits on there own. There's a lot more to the set than just the bits. I would guess retail them bits are $30 but yeah they should def swap them out for robertsons for sure. i even took mine out and put the robertsons in their place.

Here's the atlas centrotec ones i replace with

http://www.festoolproducts.com/Atlas-4R1-10-1-Centrotec-Shank-Robertson-Square-D-p/4r123-10.htm

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I spend about 7.50 a year on bits. I lose more than I break and I rarely lose them. Put them in a dewalt box. It would take fifty three years before I got to the price of the festool bits. And if I do lose one? Wgaf!

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I spend about 7.50 a year on bits. I lose more than I break and I rarely lose them. Put them in a dewalt box. It would take fifty three years before I got to the price of the festool bits. And if I do lose one? Wgaf!
I have cheap bits as well. i have the dewalt brand points, the hitachi box set for metal work, another set of hitachi for my impact, another set of dewalt for random stuff. they all have their uses. The festool stuff gets used on high end stuff that has to be perfect. My other bits cant and dont do that. They were never intended to. my zobo bits paid for them self on the first job i used them on.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I bought super expensive drill bits and they didn't last much longer than my industrial bits I get in a 10 pack from Brafasco. I do however like quality drive bits.

The centrotech case is an inefficient set, I'd take it and dump it in a sortainer drawers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts