Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...oh how I hate thee. :evil:

I did a tile repair today & had to use sanded grout. I appreciate QuartzLock even more after using cementitious for the first time in over a year.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
What was the problem?

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really a problem....

Mix the grout
Clean the mixing tools
Wait for the slake
Apply & wait for set up
Clean the sandy float
Sponge off the excess
Clean sandy bucket
Wipe off grout haze
Attempt to clean sandy sponge; end up throwing it out
Go back later to seal....

I'm not used to that many steps!

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Not really a problem....

Mix the grout
Clean the mixing tools
Wait for the slake
Apply & wait for set up
Clean the sandy float
Sponge off the excess
Clean sandy bucket
Wipe off grout haze
Attempt to clean sandy sponge; end up throwing it out
Go back later to seal....

I'm not used to that many steps!
Oooooh I get it.....you're just freakin spoiled now :laughing:

One big helper - Microfiber rags. Cleans grout haze better than anything I have ever found. Oh, and get you a wash bucket man, it's 2010 for Pete's sake....no more sandy sponges :clap:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooooh I get it.....you're just freakin spoiled now :laughing:

One big helper - Microfiber rags. Cleans grout haze better than anything I have ever found. Oh, and get you a wash bucket man, it's 2010 for Pete's sake....no more sandy sponges :clap:
Yeah, I thought about getting one last year until I realized with QuartzLock, I don't need it.

..and I always have micro-fiber rags in tow.

·
Tile Contractor
1,030 Posts
Geeez, how many feet didja do to ruin a grout sponge? :blink:

Get over it cupcake. :laughing:

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
what is quartz crack grout??? sound to me like a drug for madonna tile men...lol

never used the stuff angus. I am a permacolor man yeah its sanded just like my brain....

once I find a compnay i like and beleive in why go back??? but hey how did the 5 tiles work out for ya.....:eek:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what is quartz crack grout??? sound to me like a drug for madonna tile men...lol

never used the stuff angus. I am a permacolor man yeah its sanded just like my brain....

once I find a compnay i like and beleive in why go back??? but hey how did the 5 tiles work out for ya.....:eek:
Then SpactraLOCK should be in your arsenal, no?

IMO, cementitious grout has done it's time and is now ready for the pasture.

Me and madonna can offer a better grout, more interesting color choices and it's (sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) more profitable.

I am the same way with a company. StarQuartz has been awesome to me and they supply me with a superior product. Why would I use anything else?

Oh yeah, those 5 tiles. :w00t: Actually, I lowered a partition wall that has a backsplash on it. I lowered the wall by 8" and had to piece in a few new tiles. Regrout the entire wall.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angus - have you used SpectraLock from Laticrete?

If so, how does that compare to StarQuartz?
I have. I'll start by saying I believe they are both great grout. If I couldn't use QuartzLock, I'd use SL.

Pricing. Depending on location, either one can be more expensive than the other. SL is more readily available around the continent.

Mixing. SL needs to combine 3 parts and you're on your way, no stopping. QL no mixing. Pause when you want. No waste because you can put the lid on and save the grout for 2 years.

Spreading. I feel both are very similar. The one concern I have with SL is it changed the color of limestone on me. Luckily the HO was cool with it but I was shocked to say the least. It was similar to have the stone sealed. Weird.

Cleaning. Nothing but nothing is easier to clean up than QL. You wipe if off as soon as you set it. No waiting and have the possibility of it drying too much (or not enough). SL has had the reputation of being difficult to clean. While for a novice that could be the case, I'd argue once you know what you're doing, it shouldn't be an issue.

In the end, they are both top notch grout. I tip the scales in favor of QL but that's just me. I know price and availability are huge and that seems to be a downfall for some. I don't have an issue with either and actually, QL is quite a bit cheaper for me.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with either.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I did not know about StarQuartz until a few months ago when I came across an ad for it.

Have not ran into anyone that used it (with exception of yourself), and I have not been able to find it at my suppliers. I guess I could see if they have a dealer locator on their website.

The big thing that I like, is no more 3-part mix with the Quartz.

Now I just need to find it....:laughing:

·
Tile & Marble Contractor
488 Posts
The Star-quartz is pretty good, as is the Bostik Tru-Color....same stuff.
StarQuartz and Bostik partnered to work with each other a while back.

the one thing I didn't like from the Urethane grouts early were the washing out in showers
until they added the hardening packet. now the newer formulas don't have that problem.
I would still rather use SpectraLock over cement & urethane grout.

but I dont have a problem using a good cement grout like PermaColor or AccuColor XT.
each type of grout requires a different way of installation and washing.

just be glad furan resin grout didn't take hold of the market or you all would be crying . :cry:

101.jpg

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
i dont use epoxy grout.....havent tried quartz crack yet either.....i likea permacolor fer me

Just curious, as a telltale Laticrete fan, why haven't you tried spectralock? It is so easy to work with, never requries sealing, and has the same absorption rate as porcelain tile. I have not used anything but SpectraLock in 5 years, not once.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

We do the same thing. There are a bunch of manufacturers now with good color fast, stain proof, no sealing required grouts on the market. We sell every job with normal grout and then offer the customer the choice to upgrade to one of these 'high performance, low maintenance" grouts for about $2.00 a square foot, or what amounts to any extra $200-$500 of pure profit on each job. Few customers will not upgrade. I'm amazed that tile setters are giving away this stuff when customers are so willing to pay extra for maintenance free anything.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
We do the same thing. There are a bunch of manufacturers now with good color fast, stain proof, no sealing required grouts on the market. We sell every job with normal grout and then offer the customer the choice to upgrade to one of these 'high performance, low maintenance" grouts for about $2.00 a square foot, or what amounts to any extra $200-$500 of pure profit on each job. Few customers will not upgrade. I'm amazed that tile setters are giving away this stuff when customers are so willing to pay extra for maintenance free anything.[/QUOTE]

Not this one ;)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
We do the same thing. There are a bunch of manufacturers now with good color fast, stain proof, no sealing required grouts on the market. We sell every job with normal grout and then offer the customer the choice to upgrade to one of these 'high performance, low maintenance" grouts for about $2.00 a square foot, or what amounts to any extra $200-$500 of pure profit on each job. Few customers will not upgrade. I'm amazed that tile setters are giving away this stuff when customers are so willing to pay extra for maintenance free anything.[/QUOTE]

Not this one ;)
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts