Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked online and couldn't find anything except for pre fab slabs

basically, i would like to know how far can i span cement at X" thick at X Mpa (PSI) before i need a beam or load bearing wall.
with cantilever info

thanks
just brain storming a house i would like to build in the Caribbean

something like this

Attachments

·
Working
4,127 Posts
The rebar effects the span as well as concrete. Also pre stressed rebar makes it stronger yet.

Cole

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like i got a lot of reading. i was hoping that it was a span chart something along the line like a wood span chart.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I was hoping for a span chart type thing as well. Another resource for you would be the the insulated concrete form (ICF) guys. They can sell you a deck system which has ribbing and stays in place. If you see the dimensions of the ribs (joists) and the rebar schedule for the ribs, and the spacing, then you will know the score.

I agree that it would be useful to know some basics, like you can span 16' with 4" 4000 psi concrete with 4x16 joists 4' on center, 2 #5 rebar in the joists.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
First thing to do is find out what kind of materials are easily available in the "Caribbean". It varies a lot between islands. - Then you can start your planning and design.

BTW - You are not looking for cement construction, but concrete construction (concrete blocks- the most common wall materials and cast-in-place cast concrete slabs) Precast concrete slabs are not practical on the islands, while concrete block and ready-mix concrete is available, as evidenced by what works for the climate and raw materials.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thing to do is find out what kind of materials are easily available in the "Caribbean". It varies a lot between islands. - Then you can start your planning and design.

BTW - You are not looking for cement construction, but concrete construction (concrete blocks- the most common wall materials and cast-in-place cast concrete slabs) Precast concrete slabs are not practical on the islands, while concrete block and ready-mix concrete is available, as evidenced by what works for the climate and raw materials.

Hey thanks, i know you travel around a lot from all your pics. my island is TnT. my bro is a civil, but i don't want to ask him favors yet, you know how family can get sometimes, not to mention i asked him a few things and he never got back to me.
Most likely i will have a company from here make the design and plan according to my resources there then have a site engineer there for the build.
I do know our walls are built by foundation Brick, Red Brick and Cast walls, Floors are cast also as i was a kid that's how our house was built

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping for a span chart type thing as well. Another resource for you would be the the insulated concrete form (ICF) guys. They can sell you a deck system which has ribbing and stays in place. If you see the dimensions of the ribs (joists) and the rebar schedule for the ribs, and the spacing, then you will know the score.

I agree that it would be useful to know some basics, like you can span 16' with 4" 4000 psi concrete with 4x16 joists 4' on center, 2 #5 rebar in the joists.
yes i seen the ICF stuff and its quite straightforward, but
#1 to expensive for an island.
#2 i am starting to like that raw Cement look (I cant believe im saying this)
Im a Carpenter by trade and always ran from cement and didn't want to know anything about it, now here i am :sad:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
He has a concrete idea that he likes the look of cement...:thumbsup::whistling

That there is one smart Carpenter....knows virtually nothing about concrete...:thumbsup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Concrete masonry and poured floors is the only system that stands up to humidity, moisture and storms. In the case of a hurricane, clean and repairs are minimal unless you have a metal or trussed roof. - There is almost a concrete block plant and ready-mix plant most islands because it is proven and traditional.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I've got stamped span charts for I think 28' and a cantilever of 6' unfortunately it's for Insuldeck. It's a concrete floor system with beams every 2', falls into our ICF stuff.

Shoot me you email and I can send it to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1st thing it is concrete not cement.

Cement is what used to make concrete.

I don't think you are going to find something online.

We have a program that we enter all the info. in & then we get a PE to confirm & stamp the design.

Info you are going to need:
thickness
Concrete PSI
Reinforcement
Span

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1st thing it is concrete not cement.

Cement is what used to make concrete.

I don't think you are going to find something online.

We have a program that we enter all the info. in & then we get a PE to confirm & stamp the design.

Info you are going to need:
thickness
Concrete PSI
Reinforcement
Span
Solly no speaka da englisha

So i would like a Concrete span chart
no i dont need any info. thats why im asking if there is such thing as a span chart.

i do understand if i was to build a 2nd floor thats holding up a 3rd floor
and the room is 20x20' that as a specific thickness with a specific guage of rebar with a specific amount of rebar with a specific PSI of cement that i would get the final product i need

i would then take my idea based on my budget to an engineering firm to get it tweaked, then to the city to get a permit.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got stamped span charts for I think 28' and a cantilever of 6' unfortunately it's for Insuldeck. It's a concrete floor system with beams every 2', falls into our ICF stuff.

Shoot me you email and I can send it to you.
Thanks chris, but i seen the amvic stuff before, and its all good stuff, except its prefab and i wont be able to use it on the Islands as it will cost to much. hopefully ill contact you this summer if we are building ICF.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts