Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up a job replacing some old plywood lap siding with hardie. Around most of the house I have at least 5" of foundation to grade, but there is an area of concrete patio where the siding will almost sit on the patio. (The bottom plate is maybe an 1-1/2" above the surface of the patio.) I know Hardie recommends keeping the siding 6" away from the ground, so I suggested some kind of a belly band (PT lumber or even wonderboard as a faux foundation wall) and starting the siding on top of that, but the H/O doesn't want want to do this, as it won't match the existing look on the rest of the house.
Now I'm thinking about sealing all four sides of the bottom row of siding, and getting some flashing made that will protect the bottom edge of the board from splash and continue up the wall (sort of like a J bend without the last little hook, maybe a small L bend).
Does anybody have another idea or recommendation?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I think all you can do is maybe paint the back and bottom edge and install it like 3/4 " down from the plate. That is what he had before,right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's what is existing. I've worked on another house in the area, same situation but with cedar siding. I guess I felt better about putting cedar that close to the ground.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Why not run a pvc band board around the bottom? It will dress it up and give you the space that you need. Of course, it would have to look good with the style of the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with the H/O about that (see above) but I'm not siding the whole house and it won't match existing. Thank you though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Careful

Make sure your H/O knows the problems this can cause. But I'm sure you have voiced those already. If you place an L bend along the bottom it may cause water issuses. If you do use the bent metal make sure there are weep holes to allow for drainage. If the H/O insist you do the work this way.... you may run into call backs from them in the future.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Look at James Hardie.com

I don't think you need to have such a large clearance when it comes to patios, steps and the like- I copied this from James Hardie best installation practices

"Maintain a 1" - 2"
clearance between
James Hardie
® products
and paths, steps and

driveways."

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/bestPractices.shtml

The area I live in Hardie is the siding of choice and I rarely see even an inch above patios and decks, usually it is 1/4-1/2" not that this is recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts