Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any of you fellows worked with cement sidding,i've put some up before and i'm not sure i'm sold on it,its too labor intensive compared to vinyl sidding,too dam dusty,too hard to put up by yourself,the cement sidding blades are a waste of money,after i used up two ,i switched to 4" grinder with a diamond blade,the vinyl trim cost a fortune,i think i could of sidded three house in vinyl by the time it took for one with cement sidding.it looks nice when its up ,i don't see many advantages. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
nywoodwizard said:
just wondering if any of you fellows worked with cement sidding,i've put some up before and i'm not sure i'm sold on it,its too labor intensive compared to vinyl sidding,too dam dusty,too hard to put up by yourself,the cement sidding blades are a waste of money,after i used up two ,i switched to 4" grinder with a diamond blade,the vinyl trim cost a fortune,i think i could of sidded three house in vinyl by the time it took for one with cement sidding.it looks nice when its up ,i don't see many advantages. :eek:

I use it often, it works very easily if you treat it like wood clapboard siding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we use it all the time the trick is to usr the shears to cut the siding the tool looks like a drill but has a sissor like head that cuts the siding, no dust. are u using the cement trim? that stuff is ugly to install, hard to cut 1 in thick and breaks so easily.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Krowbar said:
we use it all the time the trick is to usr the shears to cut the siding the tool looks like a drill but has a sissor like head that cuts the siding, no dust. are u using the cement trim? that stuff is ugly to install, hard to cut 1 in thick and breaks so easily.
Krowbar, - - I've never even installed cement siding, but yours sounds like excellent advice that I'll be sure to heed when and if I ever do (which I'm sure is just a matter of time), - - what do YOU use for trim?? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We used it on a house on Pensacola beach before their last bad hurricane (the one with the 35' wave smashing in), it made me a true believer in the stuff, only 4 - 16 foot pieces claimed by the sea, the house next door with vinyl was a different story. It is very hard to install I will admit.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Krowbar said:
at first we started to,but it became apparent it was not going to work ,i was ripping 1" pieces down to make 3x3 corners it just became too much ,so paid a visit to the local supply house and picked up some nice prefabbed vinyl corners x5/4 some 5/4 x 6 for the skirt around the house,can't beat it, its very expensive but in the long run its worth it,buy the time you have one cement corner made ,i'll have four vinyl ones installed.i think the tool you were talking about is,electric shears? and they make nice cuts on this stuff?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
fibercement siding and vinyl siding are apples oranges. Compare fibercement to cedar (wood) and you will see the installation process is almost the same.

Fibercement siding does take longer to install, that's why I charge 3x the price for labor when compared to vinyl.

This is the first year this has happened to me but I have done more fibercement than vinyl this year. The thing about fibercement and cedar siding is there is less compitition. In addition you make one sale and it's usually around $30k. That's not a bad commission for one sale, that takes a week or three to install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts