Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You should go back to school and get a degree in finance or something.

Depends on what you mean worth it.
Most of the outdoor trades, ...look forward to hard work, being tired, working outside when most people dont even want to go out. On the other hand, should you decide to stay in it ( not some 4-5 yr man who talks better than anything else, and thinks he knows everything) you will learn the better way to do many things and why they work. Satifaction of working with ones hands and seeing results of your labor.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can't hurt to go. And about the above statement and college; I went to college, graduated a few years ago with honors, took several courses in a masters program, was accepted, then realized that my personal and finacial goals could not be met.

With my MHA I could make an average salary of $100-150k per year (thats after a 3-5 year period making a lot less), then I have to work for someone else the rest of my life. An MHA is a very prestiougous degree in the medical field.

In the construction industry, after 3 years I expect to be making around 80k, working a lot less (8 months out of the year), and growing exponentionally. On top of that, my only boss is my clients - whom I choose.

College offers a great social life, good new and educated friends, and the ability to learn to learn. I know I learned a lot from college, more than I can know/realize now that I'm finished, but I would not simply disregard a job because its not college. (FYI, its harder to go back to college when your older)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well college isn't an option for me anyway .... I figured it wouldn't hurt to check the union out,so i called and set up an oppointment for an interview on Friday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the advice. I am in. Because of my military experience,i am at the top of the list with 3 other guys. We will be getting a call in about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks and will be starting work soon after. The coordinator just has to interview more people for the apprentice program and then the class will start. I'm very happy about this. I may still have an opportunity to be a NJ transit police officer but i'll decide that when or if it ever comes around. :Thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts