Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Commercial Roofing
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the use of cement as a temporary repair on EPDM? I have seen it used on builtup roofs (rough surface) but only when piled on in ridiculous amounts and then only for temporary repairs during relatively light rains.

I am skeptical of the value of cement on EPDM (smoother surface, less grab), as well as the value of using minor amounts. I am working on a roof that was "repaired" by someone who dumped 2-3 cups of cement on various spots. Because the rains ended shortly thereafter and full repairs started the next day, the effectiveness of the cement repairs was never tested--despite a bill for close to a grand for scattering about half a bag of cement in various spots on a 40 square roof.

Have you used cement successfully as a temporary repair on EPDM? Any chemical compatibility problems? Does the cement harm the EPDM in any way?
Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
wow, you can make a grand off 40lbs of quickcrete?

I've heard these masons are making great money, but did not know it was to this extent!

Actually some mason's might be able to chime in here, and would be pretty knowledge d on if there would be anything that could cause damage to the EPDM.

But i don't think there would be any real harm done to the rubber from the curing of the cement.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I just saw a roof where some moron tried to TORCH to the epdm with APP mod bit. WTF?! Use a neoprene based caulk and a patch of some left over membrane and you're good for at least a year for a patch, if not longer. The neiprene based caulk resembels asphalt based roofing cement, but is compatible with epdm, unlike 99.99% of the roofing cements out there.

You could also use a elastomeric mastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts