Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with a HO last week that would like his existing siding removed and new Cement Board installed. I walked his property and asked him a few questions. A few things stood out to me as items I would like a little direction on. Below are those things:

- House has plywood ONLY on the corners for structural purposes. The rest is filled in with 1/2" foam board
- House has no form of house wrap.

Now here are my questions.

- Is it okay to apply Cement Board over just foam? After a little research it seems that it is okay when one has applied foam OVER existing plywood AND as long as the depth is set correctly on the gun. My situation is a little different. I'm concerned about nailing the siding over the foam without there being more then just a stud behind it. I feel like it would be extremely easy for a wave to appear. Should I go over the entire house with 1/2" or even 1/4" OSB then apply House Wrap then siding?

- Is there a specific brand of house-wrap I should be using to go over the foam, if it remains?

I have only done 2 or 3 houses with Cement Board and never ran into any of these things. I want this to be top notch job while remaining within budget for the HO.

Any advice is appreciated it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
alot of the hacks build that kind of junk around here, I replaced a leaking drain from the outside took off siding marked it, removed foam did repair and put back together. I told myself never again. if they cant afford to reinsulate and sheet the walls I wouldnt do the job the crappy results are going to be blamed on you. turds only spread they cant be polished..

·
Registered
667 Posts
I hate to say it, done LOTS of houses with cement board. it does not matter if it has plywood, osb, foam, etc. the way that studs are, no matter how it is built, it will wave back to you as you wave on the out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave in Pa said:
I hate to say it, done LOTS of houses with cement board. it does not matter if it has plywood, osb, foam, etc. the way that studs are, no matter how it is built, it will wave back to you as you wave on the out!
So what do you suggest? I'm open to trying to sell the HO a better product or the best possible procedures. I just need some direction from the guys that have done more than me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Estwing84 said:
I met with a HO last week that would like his existing siding removed and new Cement Board installed. I walked his property and asked him a few questions. A few things stood out to me as items I would like a little direction on. Below are those things: - House has plywood ONLY on the corners for structural purposes. The rest is filled in with 1/2" foam board - House has no form of house wrap. Now here are my questions. - Is it okay to apply Cement Board over just foam? No you need a drainage plain behind the siding.

After a little research it seems that it is okay when one has applied foam OVER existing plywood AND as long as the depth is set correctly on the gun. My situation is a little different. I'm concerned about nailing the siding over the foam without there being more then just a stud behind it. I feel like it would be extremely easy for a wave to appear. Should I go over the entire house with 1/2" or even 1/4" OSB then apply House Wrap then siding? New sheathing should not be needed, you should consider a rain screen.

Is there a specific brand of house-wrap I should be using to go over the foam, if it remains? Benjamin Obdyke HydroGap. The best thing you could do is add a rain screen.

I have only done 2 or 3 houses with Cement Board and never ran into any of these things. I want this to be top notch job while remaining within budget for the HO. Any advice is appreciated it.
The above answers are my opinions to your questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All City said:
The above answers are my opinions to your questions.
Thank you. I'll look into your suggestions. What do you suggest about the possible wave with the foam? Will it basically just need to be something I pay close attention to and shim where necessary? That was why I was thinking adding a sheet of OSB would help prevent the wave.

I looked at that HydroGap product and it looks pretty well made and pretty easy installation process. I'll check more into that with my supplier.

Thanks for your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts