Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at using dry contacts from a DVR to a type of Cellular or Long Range Radio Device to trip another relay a few miles away. On the other end I need 2 latching relay outputs with programable latch time, and a way to turn off the relay for a set amount of time. For example the DVR triggers the relay/cell or radio device upon motion, the end user (a few miles away) receives the alarm, checks the camera and notices it's an employee that will be working for 2 hours; then they set the latching relay to time out for 2 hours.

Is this a pipe dream?

I'm trying to create this relay system for under 1K, is this doable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a Pipe dream.

I have done this utilizing an ELK M1 alarm system on a house but after the alarm, a weatherproof housing, monthly cellular bills, the gate lock actuator and programming time that would more than likely exceed the budget. Personally I would just utilize the DVR, if in place, and have it signal the monitor via his/her phone so that get a live event video or photo and install a RFID sytem that keeps track of the access. But then again there are many ways to tackle this but with the information given its all speculative on this end. However if it helps try querying the web for GSM Gate Opener.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FoxComm,

I ended up using ZigBee products to make this work. The main issue is the customer only wanted to be alerted offsite by an alarm and not by phone, app or email.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks FoxComm,

I ended up using ZigBee products to make this work. The main issue is the customer only wanted to be alerted offsite by an alarm and not by phone, app or email.

ghimes,

Would you mind explaning how you did and what you did in more detail??

Thanks,

Les

1 - 4 of 4 Posts