Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taking a little poll, how many of you guys carry cell phones/camera and have internet access from the phone? like a glorified blackberry of some sort.

2nd part of the question is have you guys used this gadget for the job that you do? What was your application?

Not a trick question or anything, some of our sales and tech guys have used this to send messages quickly to our hq for a product install problem, and its in video format, real time video messaging.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just taking a little poll, how many of you guys carry cell phones/camera and have internet access from the phone? like a glorified blackberry of some sort.

2nd part of the question is have you guys used this gadget for the job that you do? What was your application?

Not a trick question or anything, some of our sales and tech guys have used this to send messages quickly to our hq for a product install problem, and its in video format, real time video messaging.
Are you the same west coast vinyl that I shipped all that villiage green Triple 3 to cross country in the fall?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I use the Blackberry 8330 really cool phone. O.K. camera with video I can send via email,GPS w/instant navigation put in an address and get the directions.

Email I use all the time, I love it.

Andy.
Same here. The BlackBerry Curve has been great for video taping the scope of work during consultations so that nothing is lost in translation from scribbling vague notes. Video footage has been beneficial more than a few times when explaining things to the service techs before heading to a project as well.

The instant email alerts are the cats-ass as well. I just wish web sights loaded faster and fit better on the screen.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,464 Posts
That's a pretty nice photo coming from a phone. My pics from my phone suck. They lack contrast and are usually blurry because of the pinhole lens. But it is better than no photo at all ---- sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an iPhone 3g with internet access. I have used it a lot on jobs. One example is snapping photos of rebar witha tape measure in formwork before pouring concrete so that I can show the inspectors at a later time.
It also helps to convey a professional image to the client.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,464 Posts
My moto-razr plugs right into my laptop. For what they claim is hi speed access. It is a lot faster than dial up but my cable connection makes it look slow as molasses. If you can handle the $60 month fee they nab from you, you can have full internet access anywhere your phone works. They have a kit that you need to buy to get it to fly on your computer. Well, most people need to buy it. With a bunch on internet searching and a few forums I was able to get everything working without the kit. All I needed to do was buy a cable to get the phone attached to the computer. About $7.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,464 Posts
Plus, with the help from those forums I was able to download a program that accesses all areas of my phone. I can download my videos and pics from the phone. Verizon disabled that feature so you would have to email them to yourself at 10¢ a pc. I made a video with my phone that was to big to send to email. Which is why I went looking for the program in the first place. Now I use it all the time. Called BitPim.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,464 Posts
My Samsung Delve takes great pictures and uses Bluetooth to hook to my laptop to transfer pics and tether. It has a touch screen, I really don't use internet on it much, too much scrolling.
I assume you don't use verizon, they defeated the transfer by bluetooth so you would have to send it through the network and get charged for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a samsung blackjack II. I run it as a modem for my toshiba laptop, i can switch the usb for file storage and fast transfers when i need it.I use its calender as well for dates of big jobs..Im the only engineer in my company so i dont text much to other workers. I have att and the charge another 20 or bucks to use it as a high speed modem..

I usually take pics with the phone but you have to hold still for sure..Otherwise its just a blur.One day sprint will have another smart phone that isnt a blackberry and i will get rid of my cheapie phone i use just to ptt to the foreman and president..

The phone also automaticsally checks various email accounts for me so i dont have to do it manually from the pc..Just pick an account and click to read.

I also keep spreadsheets on info of each stop.The supers name number, his general attitude, notes about what he likes to do in his personal time, family life etc etc..This way if i forget i can read it real fast before the stop, that helps when i have to tell him bad news or get him out of a funk when i come to fix his compactor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts