Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys like painting on a customer's ceiling?
I like using acrylic.
Some ppl I talked to dont like acrylic, others like some
of the enamals on the market.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...but like I said..couple of guys I talked to like using it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like to put acrylic everywhere I can.

Ceilings are the worst for showing imperfections, if their not perfect, anything with a sheen will let you know their not perfect.

I like to use flat, it hides a LOT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ceilings

2 coats of just primer on ceilings does the job.....been doing this for yrs...hides Everything an nooooo complaints. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Benjamin Moore's Muresco Ceiling White.

or

Martin Seynour "Bright White" Flat Ceiling paint. It's a cleaner White than most any other brands of seiling white paint. Cleaner meaning it doesn't have the "Grayish" color if compared to others.

Other than that...primer is primer, and I wouldn't call a ceiling finished with just a primer...I know drywallers that thin there mud with a 1 part construction grade primer mixed with water...(ceiling stomp or sprayed texture) This works good, I feel, because the ceiling is already "colored and will not yellow out like the Stomp or texture medium will after a couple of years....also on sprayed "popcorn" ceilings the paint added to the water sticks everything together after it has ried...so for any future ceiling painting, you have less worries of "failure" when it want's to come off as you roll on the paint...which is common in bathroom, above stoves or homes where there has been smokers living in. I dunno...I've heard pros and cons to each...

I personally do not feel you need to Prime the "lid". Just roll (spray) on a good quailty ceiling paint. But primer is all most always a Dull Grayish white...if you were to compare it to even a CHEAP flat white CEILING "paint"

I feel a ceiling should never draw your attention....the walls and the artifacts you decorate your room / house with should. I like the "Clean White" flat finish Ceilings.

-Martin :)

·
Business Consulting
268 Posts
why is it that my ceiling peels all the time..I live in a 50 year old house, someone once told me it was a plaster ceiling and that it will always chip. Can I prime it with Kilz or something?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sarah9910 said:
why is it that my ceiling peels all the time..I live in a 50 year old house, someone once told me it was a plaster ceiling and that it will always chip. Can I prime it with Kilz or something?

If it keeps peeling within a year of repainting...weather plaster or drywalled lid...You probably have a moisture issiue above the lid...IE: wet insulation for one. Any problems with mildew growth? You may want to "look up above the lid....possiably...I say possiably you may want to replace the lid and re-insulate and diagnose the trouble causing it and fix it. Home Insurance MAY cover some of it...Really need to know more though.

-Martin :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts