Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water damage. Fixed this one a couple yrs ago too. Ran into my old repair.
Prep, Cover Stain oil perimeters. Hang new piece drywall. Mesh seams. Two Coates 5 minute mud. One coat bucket mud.
Been using my heavy duty 2x4 folding table for mixing. Saves the back!
Back tomorrow to sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I took pics of progress. I’ll get more tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
Is primer a recommended technique or a something you do? I never prime the repair before hand. I would scrap /shave down the build up. I have not had an bonding problems. Other than smooth plaster with a gazillion layers of paint. Mostly 20 min the topped with AP.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you measure before you mix mud or just wing it each time, adjusting accordingly?

30 yrs of winging it and you get good at it. Big batches water first. Tiny batch powder first.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is primer a recommended technique or a something you do? I never prime the repair before hand. I would scrap /shave down the build up. I have not had an bonding problems. Other than smooth plaster with a gazillion layers of paint. Mostly 20 min the topped with AP.

Didn’t prime similar repair last week. Bit me in the ass. Quickset did not bond well and slow set up time. Had to get out heat gun.

I’ll just say I have zero problems when I prime painted areas around repairs.

I only use National Gypsum Quikset. Maybe guys that use other brands don’t have problems.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Are these done in a day jobs? Or prime one day and spackle the next?

I haven't had any bonding issues, but would like to know more about your technique

-Rich

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are these done in a day jobs? Or prime one day and spackle the next?

I haven't had any bonding issues, but would like to know more about your technique

-Rich

One day normally. I try to prep and prime asap. Then set up all else while primer is drying. With fan it dries in about 30 minutes.

I was a little tired yesterday and opted for a third coat of ready mix at the six hour mark. Could have worked a couple more and finished.

Went back this morning. Sanded and cleaned up. 45 minutes, done. 3 hours under my proposal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts