Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if its my technique or roller quality or something else but I have to get to the bottom of it.

Doing work in a basement with low ceilings and bad lighting. Got to painting the ceiling with HO supplied Behr flat paint and got this result.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Afterward 2 coats I felt like the texture was lifting and poor contact was being made causing this spotty finish. Or it was dustier than I thought. So I skim coated the entire ceiling with mud and sanded smooth. Hand brushed the dust off the ceiling and did 2 coats of new drywall /primer. Valspar. Result the same.

Now that I am completely irrated I go to a paint specialty store and ask for advice. I get a bad attitude and lecture about poor choice of paint so he sells me 30/gal stuff which I paid for and low and behold we got the same result.

This job is not a paying gig Im helping someone but Im going to lose my mind if I dont get to the bottom of this. Not even for just this but for the future. This is the second time in 2 years I had this happen and I dont recall it ever happening in 20 yrs prior. All of my drywall repairs are fine.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Your bleeding your roller. What nap size?

A fully saturated dripping wet 1/2 nap roller cover, covers a 3' *3' area for me. Also, use as little pressure as possible. Try this pole handling technique: Your left hand on body of pole. make a fist and stick out first 2 fingers, gently wrap those fingers around 1/2 body of the pole. The left hand is for guiding the pole.

Your right hand open completely up and balance the end of the pole in the center of your palm. This hand holds the pole in the air.

BE GENTLE & GENEROUS!!! Oh yeah, you still need to use the "v" method. Alot of people don't do that on ceilings.

If it sounds like velcro tearing apart, stop and refill.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do paint wet & heavy. I usually feel I consume too much paint. I do use a pole but not a 1/2 roller sleeve.

·
Super Moderator
24,297 Posts
First thought comes to mind is something in the prep.

You certainly seem to have covered that.

I probably would have used a damp mop/rag to wipe down before primer.

Another good reason to hire a painter....:whistling:laughing:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
could humidity have anything to do?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
No offense, just alot of people bleed the roller.

If your using a 3/8 nap step up to a deeper nap. 3/8 just barely put paint on the wall.

I would imagine you got the temp fine inside. But in basement I like to use those nuclear hot halogen lamps to "dry" the air. maybe use about 6 of em. you will be blind with 3000 watts, but moisture wont be an issue ;)

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense, just alot of people bleed the roller.

If your using a 3/8 nap step up to a deeper nap. 3/8 just barely put paint on the wall.

I would imagine you got the temp fine inside. But in basement I like to use those nuclear hot halogen lamps to "dry" the air. maybe use about 6 of em. you will be blind with 3000 watts, but moisture wont be an issue ;)
None taken, when you say bleed the roller I associate that with dry rolling or similar. If that were the case I would have roller marks,no? I make a point of not pressing the paint.

This basement has moisture as well, some spots on the walls blistered when I put on fresh paint. I repaired them.

I dont know if damp wiping prior would have been a big enough factor. The question now is whether or not I can fill the blotches with fresh paint or just raise the texture.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,624 Posts
This *can* be caused by too much moisture. I've seen this problem sometimes (mostly with flat paint) since the paint reformulations.

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
How long did you wait before you took that pic? I've seen that sort of thing a couple times when my painters are trying to get a job done too fast after repairs, or we are in very humid conditions. It just looks wet. Gotta let the coats dry out (including the mud), or force them with fan, heat, dehumidifier, etc.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So another silly question, If there was surface dust wouldnt the the second coat be okay? Last time I this happened I made a special effort to spot fill the blotches and the texture got more pronounced. Im tempted to sand the spots prior to painting.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long did you wait before you took that pic? I've seen that sort of thing a couple times when my painters are trying to get a job done too fast after repairs, or we are in very humid conditions. It just looks wet. Gotta let the coats dry out, or force them with fan, heat, dehumidifier, etc.
The bright light in the corner is a window with a fan. The primer dries in a couple of hours and thats after the second coat in which I came at it 2 directions.

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
I think the drying might be hindered by the primer in there. If you touched the "dried" primer, did it feel dry or was it slick (or tacky) with dampness? That's my guess. Ceiling paint is very forgiving, as you know, so it has to be due to moisture, not dust, from what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im doing this here and there so there has been plenty of drying time between. The HO supplied paint was Behr. I told him we will use it up on the last couple of walls ans buy something else for the ceiling. I lost motivation after this last hassle.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Used Behr customer supplied for 1 room - dries way too fast and almost peels itself off with the roller. Never again.

Especially Behr add some Flotrol or XIM additive extender. And as said gotta use 1/2 or 3/4 roller. That is your main problem.

I think paints will continue to be higher acrylic and require a latex additive. I carry it to all paint jobs just in case. Didn't do it a few years ago.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So even after another thick coat, yes this time I even used a 12 or 14" 1/2" nap roller its still visible.

Im going to say the absorbtion of materials may never be uniform, even sealed with primers. I also think that its probably very normal. Its just the 7ft ceilings and the basement window shining across the ceiling that is highlighting something one usually never see. Good enough for government work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts