Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to start painting a new house. In the past we have sprayed and then backrolled all ceilings first. Do you think a room with crown is faster to start by spraying all ceilings first...then masking 6 inches of the ceiling and spraying the crown? Or spray all crown first and then brush and roll all ceilings? We bought the new CapSpray Aircoat and are dying to use it for all of the trim. All rooms w/o crown are not a problem...spray and backroll all ceilings, spray all trim and then paint all walls....
Thanks in advance for your responses as to which is faster
Kevin

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Kevin,
I worked about six years for a guy that sprayed all the walls, and trim. A crew of six would finish a 2500-3000 sq ft home in about 10-12 days.

First we would go in and prime all walls and cielings(spray), then fix nailpops etc, then sand all walls and cielings.

Second we would go in and spray primer on all trim..except ofcourse windows.

Then we would prep all trim. Then go in and spray finish on all cielings and walls...we never did back roll the cieling, and never had problems with touch up.

We then went in and sprayed all trim...starting with the crown, I shielded the cielings, but not the walls.( When someone is shielding the crown it helps a bunch to have someone you can hand the shield to to clean it off, we used two shields which we would keep exchangeing)

When all the trim had been sprayed we went in the next day and scuffed the areas around the trim where over spray was. Then cut in and rolled those areas.( scuffing is a tad time consuming, but not compared to brushing all the trim.) While we were doing this we had our fastest window guys finishing the windows.

We also sprayed the base, both prime and finish. But we first shop vaced the floors, and took a garden sprayer to wet down the areas around the base to control the dust.

The finish was excellant...need a good spray man. We used a Graco 5900 with the right tips for even our trim.Your capspray should be great.

Like I said we were averageing a large home every 10-12 days(including punchlist).

This may be more than you wanted to know...hope it helps..good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be more than you wanted to know...hope it helps.
It did indeed, Thanks for the good word. I just picked up a Speeflo 4900 today to add to our equiptment. It should help us out. Thanks again and I will let you know how we did
Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don, that is impressive, only use my airless sprayer for ceilings and walls and i have been brushing out the trim. Do you get a crisp line with the sheild?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Paz said:
Don, that is impressive, only use my airless sprayer for ceilings and walls and i have been brushing out the trim. Do you get a crisp line with the sheild?
The line against the cieling is crisp so long as you use a good stiff CLEAN/DRY shield. That's the only thing we shielded. Items such as doorcasings I simply turned the nozzle/tip perpendicular to the caseing edge as to minimize over spray. After the trim was dry we went in and scuffed (heavily) the overspray area,cut in and rolled out as far as we needed to correct the over spray on the walls.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Don. Started today. Do you think that if we spray and backroll the ceiling once..then spray out all trim, including all crown with two coats...and then cut-in all ceilings and rolling them is a bad idea? At least the bulk of the ceilings are finished and then one top coat will cover all overspray. That way we don't need to shield all ceilings. Who knows- there are so many different ways to paint and everybody thinks thier way is the only way I guess. Don I like you idea. Do you want to come here and finish all new houses for me? ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Donb, is most of your work new construction? It sounds like you have your system down to a fine art and your crew really moves along. The problem i have here is that the new houses i do are not turned over to me complete, i have to start the project with other trades still completing there work.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
premierpainting said:
Thanks Don. Started today. Do you think that if we spray and backroll the ceiling once..then spray out all trim, including all crown with two coats...and then cut-in all ceilings and rolling them is a bad idea? At least the bulk of the ceilings are finished and then one top coat will cover all overspray. That way we don't need to shield all ceilings. Who knows- there are so many different ways to paint and everybody thinks thier way is the only way I guess. Don I like you idea. Do you want to come here and finish all new houses for me? ;)
Kevin.....I suppose, but shielding the cielings really takes a lot less time than cutting in and rolling the ceilings. But, I guess it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. I know that speed matters in new work. Your planning to spray paint all the walls finish then spray trim right? Anywho that's how we did it.

Keep me updated.

Depends on how many new houses ya got ready to walk into ;)

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Paz said:
Donb, is most of your work new construction? It sounds like you have your system down to a fine art and your crew really moves along. The problem i have here is that the new houses i do are not turned over to me complete, i have to start the project with other trades still completing there work.
Paz,
No, I do all repaints as I don't have the resources available for new work, plus, there's more money in repaints...and I ain't quite figured out how to price new work. :rolleyes:

I was the lead man/foreman for a contractor that did ALL new construction, including 4-5 "Parade of Homes" per year. He had the contract with two of the largest builders in this area total of about 80-120 homes per year.

I was a saliried employee, plus got production bonuses, so yes, we moved along....fast. Paul paid his men good, it was my job to make sure we got every nickles worth from them. The work was top notch, and done lightening fast. No other paint contractor was doing new homes like this till I "invented" it. Now most of them do it. Shouldnt patented it,huh? :cheesygri

Yes, other contractors and subs were in areas working. When push came to shove we would spray right over the top of the finish carpenters, the tile guys were in and out quickly. We have been known to put a good basecoat on saws, tool aprons, and whatever else happened to get in the way :cool: . In the dog eat dog world of new work if one doesnt keep moving one loses money, and we couldnt have that :Thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you spraying oil or latex on the trim? I have always been a bit gun shy when it came to spraying oil. Have you ever used that liquid mask stuff that you spay on windows?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Paz said:
Are you spraying oil or latex on the trim? I have always been a bit gun shy when it came to spraying oil. Have you ever used that liquid mask stuff that you spay on windows?
Oil on the trim,cut with Penetrol. Why gun shy? No, we brushed all the windows, ran it out on the pane about an 1/8 of an inch, then on punchout we would scrape it off with a razor..how many new houses do you do yearly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
3 or 4 a year in the 4000-8000 square foot range and a few additions as well. Most of the houses are owner design build, my pricing is usually to steep for spec homes, infact one contractor said my price was ferking vertical :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK- an update...
Sprayed out all ceilings with two coats. This is a 7500 sq.ft house. Two guns and backrolled second coat. I started to spray all crown. Two coats and finished. We are spraying Cashmere (S/W) Great for spraying and brushing for that matter. Our new AirCoat is very accurate. I oversprayed all crown onto the ceiling. Learned a great tip- When spraying, the tip changes the sheen of the paint- no matter what the finish is. We pumped about a gallon of paint through the sprayer and touched-up the overspray on all of the ceilings. Couldn't see any difference in finish. All trim in the house is now finished except for the inside sash. We are not spraying any walls. We are using S/W Duration Interior. Brushed and rolled Three bedrooms and three baths yesterday. Great paint BTW. When it is dry there are no, zero, nada for roller or brush marks.
I will keep ya posted. Hope to have this house rapped up by next Sat. Only 300- 350 man hours- I thought it would take five guys up to four weeks :)

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
premierpainting said:
OK- an update...
Sprayed out all ceilings with two coats. This is a 7500 sq.ft house. Two guns and backrolled second coat. I started to spray all crown. Two coats and finished. We are spraying Cashmere (S/W) Great for spraying and brushing for that matter. Our new AirCoat is very accurate. I oversprayed all crown onto the ceiling. Learned a great tip- When spraying, the tip changes the sheen of the paint- no matter what the finish is. We pumped about a gallon of paint through the sprayer and touched-up the overspray on all of the ceilings. Couldn't see any difference in finish. All trim in the house is now finished except for the inside sash. We are not spraying any walls. We are using S/W Duration Interior. Brushed and rolled Three bedrooms and three baths yesterday. Great paint BTW. When it is dry there are no, zero, nada for roller or brush marks.
I will keep ya posted. Hope to have this house rapped up by next Sat. Only 300- 350 man hours- I thought it would take five guys up to four weeks :)
There ya go!! Well done

1 - 15 of 15 Posts