Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a number of ceiling fans protected by electronic mcb/rcd combo's. When I switch a fan off it trips the combo- it only trips when switching off-not on. Anyone got any idea why and a possible solution???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure! The inductive kick from the motor when you switch off is triggering the combo, whatever that is. Remove the combo. You don't need any protection on a fan circuit except a circuit breaker.

U

·
0 Posts
frenchsparky said:
sure you can remove the rcd device but one quick question where you from ??? if from U.K. it might be diffrent codes .

merci, marc

In Australia , you have to have both power and lighting circuits on rcd(including fans)

·
Registered
70 Posts
ahh ok i get it, i am used to both usa and french electrial codes..

thanks for pointing out,,, hummmm that is little odd to hear it any possibty that the fan motor have leftover current when you flip the switch off,

bear in your mind that most european area are 220v line to netural system

so i am little baffled in this area why it kick the rcd off if i recall it the rcd are set at 30 ma setting ( correct me if i am wrong :) )

i was thinking about capatitor was leaking some current when you hit the switch but i really can't rule that for a moment until something else come up with it, at the same time what about switch device ??? just a toggle switch or fan speed control ???

merci, marc

U

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Bob F.
The inductive reactance or in rush of current (as small as it is) with a paddle fan is causing the rcd/mcb to electronically sense a current mismatch and causing the tripping fault. It is just doing it's job...
The in rush I is probably just over the threshold of your combo device causing your paddle fan whoos....
Disconnect fan from circuit and your troubles should vanish.
Electricalhelp

U

·
0 Posts
Unregistered said:
I have to agree with Bob F.
The inductive reactance or in rush of current (as small as it is) with a paddle fan is causing the rcd/mcb to electronically sense a current mismatch and causing the tripping fault. It is just doing it's job...
The in rush I is probably just over the threshold of your combo device causing your paddle fan whoos....
Disconnect fan from circuit and your troubles should vanish.
Electricalhelp
the rcd should trip only if there is a fault between phase to earth or neutral to earth maybe u have one of them and under normal operateing conditions the resistance is high enough to stop an arc from one of the above to earth faults but when u trun it off the high inductive reactance is high enough to arc u could be using normal domestic unit try getting one with moter delay

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Why does my mind flash to an up circuit problem? Maybe something not tight at the panel or a JB? One marginal connection would cause this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts