Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
General Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching, didn't find much mention of this topic.

The last few years, I have been installing Concord ceiling fans. It sounds like they had some manufacturing or stability issues, so my supplier started selling me Emerson (builder series) fans. I want to give my customers a "entry level professional grade" product. I have had a few electricians tell me that these are not any better then the box store fans. I have noticed manufacturing shortcommings with both fan makers, which slow our installations, and frustrate me. If I'm gonna have problems with the fan, I might as well buy cheaper ones. I pay about $110 out the door (fan, light kit, bulbs).

What would you buy for an "entry level professional grade" fan?

How much would you expect to pay for it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
.........What would you buy for an "entry level professional grade" fan?..........

What exactly is an "entry level professional grade" fan? A cheap one you buy at the supply house as opposed to a cheap one you buy at Home Cheapo or Blowes?

Personally and professionally, I install Hunter or Casablanca.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
Personally and professionally, I install Hunter or Casablanca.
I'm not familiar with Casablanca (play it again, Sam), but I'll ditto Hunter. Can't say I've seen any brand at all that didn't make me mutter to myself as often as not.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Say what you want to about the Depot, and I'll agree with most of the negative, but I have installed many hampton bay fans and have had very little trouble with them.

Most of the models go together easily also.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If I'm putting a ceiling fan in a rental, I plan on owning the place a long time. So I buy something with a lifetime warranty. The warranty isn't good on non-owner occupied, but they don't know you aren't occupying the place.

My places have 4 ceiling fans/unit. I've had to replace two fans out of 8 in the last 7 years, so I appreciate the warranty.

As for the price, if you watch the specials, you should be able to get a decent fan for $40. Then buy a bunch of them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just installed a Minka fan yesterday that & customer purchased & it was the easiest & quickest installation that I've ever had for a ceiling fan. Great ceiling mount-light already on the unit-twist on light shade- & push in & lock fan blades. I am highly impressed with the quality too!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I've installed expensive and cheap ones from supply houses, expensive and cheap ones from box stores, and even cheap ones from Wall Mart (that's another story). It seems to me the difference in price relates to design, not quality. The expensive ones seem to wobble and humm with the same frequency of occurrence as the cheap ones. When I've replaced fans for customers, generally (but not always) it's because they want a new design look.

There are customers who buy strictly based on price. They think the higher the price the better the product. They buy some of the ugliest and most awful to install crap ever built.

·
General Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I guess it just depends on personal experiences. I do like supporting the local supply houses. I feel I get sold & told less bs then at the box stores.

Unfortunatly so many of these existing cheapo fans are not easy to get parts for. I have found that it's so costly for my guys to try and find new blade irons & parts for these older fans, we're better off just replacing them (the throw away generation huh?). I install so many fans, I have often thought there should be a "fan man in a van" who specializes in fixing/replacing fans.

It has been my experience that cheap products from the supply house are more serviceable then cheap products from the box stores. I would like to believe that my suppliers will be able to get parts for these fans for a long time to come.... I know, I know... wish in one hand...

Thanks again for all the 2 cents.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I think I have installed about 96% of the different ceiling fan styles offered at lowes, I did alot of cussing on a few but haven't had one call back.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
........ but haven't had one call back.
Maybe because they die so fast they HO decides to buy a real fan. Or else they're selling the place and want a super cheap fan for the realtor to ooh and aah over.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
Maybe because they die so fast they HO decides to buy a real fan. Or else they're selling the place and want a super cheap fan for the realtor to ooh and aah over.
Cheap hell, my wife came home with a 225 dollar ceiling fan from lowes 2 years ago. I could have beat her, not only for wasting 225 but for making me put up another lowes ceiling fan. haha

By the way, I know at least 18 are still going. I got curious and called 4 old customers to see if they were still working :clap:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts