Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the input, to some who took the question serious, I ended up going with the 16' A ladder instead of the scaffold. Had to get a helper to make things easier. Also purchased 12, 16" block to raise the ladder a couple more feet. Worked like a charm and set up was a bit faster. After careful consideration I added a premium for woking on such a high ceiling and having to run around to rent the ladder purchase the block, etc. So I quoted $1200. I guess for some money is not really an issue if you live in a $2mm home with $600k parked in the driveway. Not a bad days work!:thumbup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks for the input, to some who took the question serious, I ended up going with the 16' A ladder instead of the scaffold. Had to get a helper to make things easier. Also purchased 12, 16" block to raise the ladder a couple more feet. Worked like a charm and set up was a bit faster. After careful consideration I added a premium for woking on such a high ceiling and having to run around to rent the ladder purchase the block, etc. So I quoted $1200. I guess for some money is not really an issue if you live in a $2mm home with $600k parked in the driveway. Not a bad days work!:thumbup:
This is what gives Contractors a bad rap- Charging beaucoup dollars because "they" seem to have money- It does not work that way- it is the same price for everyone.................. this is Ridiculous !.................... for 2 to 3 hours work.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gives contractors a bad name??? I think you are referring to the guy that takes the down payment and never shows up again or the guy that overpromises and underdelivers. In this case the quote was submitted and later accepted. The customer was very pleased at the of the job. I don't see your point.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Gives contractors a bad name??? I think you are referring to the guy that takes the down payment and never shows up again or the guy that overpromises and underdelivers. In this case the quote was submitted and later accepted. The customer was very pleased at the of the job. I don't see your point.

I think what he's saying is you base your price on the customers' ability to pay. If they're poor, your price goes down. If they're loaded, your price goes up.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
You're kidding, right?
Aw, come on, 480. Can you seriously say you've never stepped a tad outside of OSHA to get a job done? :laughing:

As for the pricing... We don't see a whole lot of posts from DE on that subject, and I don't have a feel for that area. But I'm sure that things cost noticeably more there than here, and in much of the country.

Add in that the job actually took probably more than one man-day (two people, estimates, dickering, procuring rental equipment, returning equipment), and a high-risk adventure at altitude, the price begins to seem a bit more reasonable.

Gotta admit though, I'd love to bring that in every day. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I've stood on the top step of my 4' ladder a couple times. (Ok I do it all the time) I hope OSHA doesn't shut me down:jester:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Aw, come on, 480. Can you seriously say you've never stepped a tad outside of OSHA to get a job done? :laughing: ..........
Yeah, but putting a ladder on a dozen CMUs? Even if there's 3 under each leg, don't you think that's a bit too much?

I've stood on the top step of my 4' ladder a couple times. (Ok I do it all the time) I hope OSHA doesn't shut me down:jester:
Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're the owner, OSHA doesn't apply to you, only your employees.

Reactions: breid1903

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

I think what you charged is admirable. In fact I hope you took your woman out for a great dinner and stopped on the way home to buy a new flat screen television too. Charge however much as you can get.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We all make do in a pinch, might as well admit it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is what gives Contractors a bad rap- Charging beaucoup dollars because "they" seem to have money- It does not work that way- it is the same price for everyone.................. this is Ridiculous !.................... for 2 to 3 hours work.............
The following user says NO THANK YOU to mrmike for his post.....macmikeman.:furious:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why are we as electrical tradesmen supposed to treat wealthy customers with such regard as to not ever charge them more than poor customer's? Have you ever been into one of the shops on 5th ave. or Rodeo Drive? They are not only allowed to charge large, it is expected of them, and they provide higher quality goods than K-mart does. An electrical contractor who provides high quality service for the price should also. Most of you goons have been brainwashed by GC's and dumbass talk at the supply house counter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The following user says NO THANK YOU to mrmike for his post.....macmikeman.:furious:
Would you Yourself pay someone $1200 to install a ceiling fan ? How much do your competitors in your area charge?? Is this good word of mouth for you ?
Do you show up at someone's house & it is very nice & there's a Caddy & a Mercedes out front- Do you lick your chops & say to yourself I will charge double? No Thank You to your Business practices !!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts