Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a ton of treatments available for moss growth on cedar roofs. Are there any that you recommend?

We installed a cedar roof on 4 buildingtown home association in 2001. Some very minor moss is beginning to develope on the North sides of those buildings. The home owners asked me to work up an estimate for some kind of treatment. With so many products on the market I am not sure what to recommend.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I hate to give this up but I'm not going to do anything with it, if you become a millionaire, pitch a few coins my way.
I have always noticed that certain metals deter mold and fungus. These metals tend to be copper, tin or zinc based.
Stuff does not grow on galvanized roofing. I have noticed that the black mold/fungus does not grow on boats under the snaps (brass = copper + tin).
I have always wondered if a strip of copper or zinc or brass nailed to the ridge would alleviate the problem.
Might be an answer Grumpy. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that was my thought as well however there is no place to put this copper without making it look funny on this roof or come into contact with dis-similiar metals.

We should have put a copper ridge... but the home owner didn't want to pay.

Besides continuous treatments means more cashola for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts