Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
90%-er
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been putting this red cedar siding on a little cottage for a customer of mine.

I was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations for a sealer to apply once we're done?

Customer wants something that will (obviously) show the cedar, kind of make the reds pop out and give it protection from our brutal winters here.

This is western red, milled from trees on his ranch in MO, then driven to Michigan and allowed to dry out for 30-45 days. Ran it through a table saw after drying to get it all back to uniform widths.

Another question: we are planning to caulk all the cedar-to-trim seams. Should I do that before, or after, sealing the cedar?

·
General Contractor
7,940 Posts
Been putting this red cedar siding on a little cottage for a customer of mine.

I was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations for a sealer to apply once we're done?

Customer wants something that will (obviously) show the cedar, kind of make the reds pop out and give it protection from our brutal winters here.

This is western red, milled from trees on his ranch in MO, then driven to Michigan and allowed to dry out for 30-45 days. Ran it through a table saw after drying to get it all back to uniform widths.

Another question: we are planning to caulk all the cedar-to-trim seams. Should I do that before, or after, sealing the cedar?
Tung or Linseed oil will outlast pretty much everything that is on the market.
Used that all the time on cedar siding and decks.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I would go with a prepackaged transparent stain, there will be a color that enhances the natural color. I like the Super Deck line of stains sold by SW.

Take a scrap sample to the store and just try a little to test.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,008 Posts
If it were all under roof I'd spray it with a clear poly. If in the sun I'd use TWP which I have on my house. All the cedar still looks good, been 4 years now without recoating. Can't say the same for the siding but, it's not cedar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts