Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to start installing a HUGE amount of horizontal siding on a big house. We always hand nail with SS, but curious if someone has a better set up ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,
How would you compare the installation with nail gun compared to hand nailing? Does nail gun leave siding loose? We are installing over !/4" furring strip for rain screen wall and I would want to use 2" SS spiral.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I would be hesitant to use the homeslicker behind clapboards. It works well with shingles though. I think there is more of a risk of a wavy sidewall with claps and homeslicker. The shingles get layered up so much they do well with homeslicker. I've only done vertical 1x strips screwed to the studs as a rain screen. I still like this method, but using 1x as a rain screen can be challenging with flashing details like roofs running into sidewalls. I think 1/4" is as thin as I'd go with a rainscreen. I like solid fastening though, so I'm not real interested in the lattice system. You could always give the homeslicker a try on a small wall and see how it goes. I think I have done it, and wasn't really psyched about setting nails and pulling the clapboards around. I also remember running it underneath corner boards and I didn't like that. I like solid nailing for trim.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We ripped 1/4" AC plywood for furring on clapboards and corner boards. Window trim was 2x cedar. I will get some more pics end of the week; we are building a little fence around the pool equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts