Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to get into the cctv market and is there any type of free training. I have installed the wiring for it but never a complete system. I am a master electrican in houston with 17 years in the trade. Also how do I price such a job. I was told you can double your material plus add your wage. That sound highe , but there isn't to many cctv techs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what's up shane,
If your trying to get involve with closed caption
I would strongly recommend trying to hook-up with
a distributor before attacking that particular field.

To a electrician from another electrician, just doing or pulling wire for an
fire alarm system used to be greek to me. trying to figure if its an itelligent or a non-itelligent system until I worked for a control
company which does fire, cctv, card access, nurse calls, energy management, sound system and burg system.

The reason I'd suggest that you talk with some cctv distributors
is to get familiar with pricing and the system, because some system requires
major programming at the front end and it can be time consuming
especially if the cctv has PTZ features with controls, alarm, and
sesitivity range on the multiplexer that some customer would want those features. Not to mention also to tie to the network over the web. Also
they sometimes give free seminar.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would Strongly recommend buying a PTZ camera fixed camera and a DVMRE with Ethernet port , a broadband connection with a static IP address and Bench Test and Bench Test for about six months , learn to program the static IP, Gateway, subnet mask, and DNS addresses , practice programming the DVR with a laptop once you acquire the hang of it , go to your friends house and watch your Cameras from their computer or at the library in other words get to know what you are selling , don’t show up on the job site fumbling pages of the install manual, and not having a clue about setting a unit up. You can always sell the equipment later; bench testing is the way to go. Also ADI (ADEMCO Distribution) and Alarmax Distributors (low voltage wholesale security suppliers) can arrange a in store demo and training from most manufacture Reps such as Kaletel no need to feel intimidated by all the industry lingo because the are helping locksmiths move over into this field an start from scratch, such as hands on basic training ,this along with bench testing a few months before your first big install will go a long way. The Federal government is giving grants away to cities all the time this market is huge, at the moment I Have about 28,000.00 in Equipment cost on a recentent install, My bid was the lowest at 135,000.00 for a city garage, city hall camera and access system it took me and 3 other guys 2 weeks to install the equipment, and had a great had a profit margin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts