Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the serpentine belt come apart last week, put new belt on and startd to have birds chirping and an occassional prolonged screech. I put a new tesioner on it tonight and its still doing it.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suspect its the alternator as well. This is the same car from the other thread. Just trying to get rid of the screeching so i don't lose my mind getting it over to that dealer.

It's heading to the shop tomorrow to take a look at it and also do a written assessment of the frame rot as ammo against the dealer.

...all the cats in the neighborhood accounted for?:whistling
Good question, I don't live in town but we've got a towns worth of cats running around.:laughing:

Reactions: 91782

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I own a cheap automotive stethoscope, perfect in a situation like this.

HarborFreight has em cheap and they work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Dustincoc said:
I had the serpentine belt come apart last week, put new belt on and startd to have birds chirping and an occassional prolonged screech. I put a new tesioner on it tonight and its still doing it.
Did you use sand paper or emory cloth to rough up all of the other pulleys and tensioners? What kinda car. I just went through this with an 08'F150

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Could try a belt dressing, Belt Ease.

Look at the power steering pump pulley. How much play is there?

If the s belt wasn't that old or worn than something caused it to break. That problem might still be present and damage the new belt.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts

If the s belt wasn't that old or worn than something caused it to break. That problem might still be present and damage the new belt.
Judging by the frame, the belt was probably held together with string. :laughing:

·
Registered
261 Posts
do those cars use a timing belt? if so, it could be any number of things under the timing cover. You can remove the serp. belt and run the car for a couple minutes to isolate

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've had both an alternator and an AC compressor lock up and destroy my serpentine belt on separate occasions. If the belt is still off, manually turn all of your pulleys. They all should turn very easily except for the crankshaft.

If your crankshaft pulley is easy to turn, then the belt is the least of your problems. :whistling

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: It let out a screech right after I started it up th other ight d I gave up for the night, came i and started this thread. It hasn't made but a few chirps when I first start it sice.

Power steering pump isn't on the belt, its on the other end of the engine and I think its driven by the camshaft.

The screech the other night came right after i put on belt dressing.

Judging by the frame, the belt was probably held together with string. :laughing:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Probably has some rust pitting or debris in the pulleys. Run a wire brush through the grooves to clean them out and clean the rust off the smooth sides. Seems like this car just keep porking yah. 1st they sell you a rotted out car but then to make it worse it has the POS quad-4 engine. Best hope it doesnt need a water pump!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts