Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen guys caulk around windows inside and out without touching the caulk, and it looked nice. I can't seem to get a nice enough bead to leave it alone. I always run a finger on it but it would be great to lat it down perfectly from the gun. Is this an elementary skill and I am just a hack or is there a specific tube and circumstance where this works best?

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
^^^What they all said^^^

Although my good buddy, who owns a glass business, never tools his silicone on commercial work and it looks great (for commercial).
I wouldn't caulk glass like I would a window or trim.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Speaking of good quality caulking guns
I picked up a couple of the Cox brand guns. I have two of the 41004 models, they blow the other cheaper guns out of the water, even my tamija guns. And they are made in the USA.

The only thing they don't have is a poker on the side, but I keep a short piece or wire rolled around the gun to use as a poker.

http://www.cox-applicators.com/our-...e_component/sc_10oz_cartridge/sc_10ozc_manual

Dave

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Ya know they do make caulking knives for this purpose :rolleyes:

All you finger guys must not use polyurethanes or quad and if you do, I hope you don't bite your nails :laughing:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
They come in many different flavors from small to hamburger flipper and everything in between...Check out the quad glazing beads I tool around wood replacement sash.

Don't tell me you'd stick your finger on that one :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Quad can make a real mess if you don't get it right. If you can lay down a nice, smooth bead with no starts and stops, it self tools in a few days and looks awesome. I've notices the electric caulking guns can help lay down a smooth bead because they keep constant pressure so you don't run the same chance of squeezing harder or softer on the gun resulting in a bulge.

If I don't think I can get it without tooling it, I'll either tape the sides of the bead to keep a nice straight line or use a mineral spirits soaked rag to smooth it.

I think I need to look into a set of those knives like Superseal.

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
Superseal is sick, just sick, lol. Seriously, a true artisan when it comes to caulking if there is such an thing. For the rest of us, quality caulk, gun, and experience will deliver a nice bead and adhesion with no tooling. The "caulking hierarchy" is as follows IMO:
- hacks that lay an ugly bead with no tooling
- average joes that lay an ugly bead but at least tool it
- skilled caulkers that can lay a beautiful bead after years of practice without tooling
- Superseal and his masochistic brethren... Most of us will happily settle at level 3 ;)

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
How big of a mess can you fill with that moores stuff?
You can fill some pretty good size holes and cracks with the textured version.

I primarily use it for perimeter caulk beads in stucco and it's very nice to work. In addition, it performs exceptionally well.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Superseal is sick, just sick, lol. Seriously, a true artisan when it comes to caulking if there is such an thing. For the rest of us, quality caulk, gun, and experience will deliver a nice bead and adhesion with no tooling. The "caulking hierarchy" is as follows IMO:
- hacks that lay an ugly bead with no tooling
- average joes that lay an ugly bead but at least tool it
- skilled caulkers that can lay a beautiful bead after years of practice without tooling
- Superseal and his masochistic brethren... Most of us will happily settle at level 3 ;)
That made me chuckle :laughing:

I do believe however, once you tool, you rarely go back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts