Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hear some feedback on recaulking tiled showers with custom bases. Is cleaning & sealing the tile first a good idea since the walls and floor weep behind new caulk in the corners? Is sealing all the grout a bad idea because of the moisture below the tile? Let's start the conversation...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Someone needs to build a glass tile shower and put a webcam on it so we can see what happens behind those pesky walls. I can think of a couple of ways to increase viewership.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Call me a dufus, but what the hell does caulk in a shower corner have to do with water? It's there to allow for expansion, not to control water.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Call me a dufus, but what the hell does caulk in a shower corner have to do with water? It's there to allow for expansion, not to control water.
Wrong. It's main purpose is to retain an imperceptible amount of water that doesn't dry out to cause mildew over time.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think these guys are wanting to open up a conversation about how the water gets in the wall and goes to the bottom and what happens after that.

Some think that no water ever gets in. Some think that what goes in comes back out. Some think that it goes in and then can't come back out.

That's why I say someone should build a simple shower with clear glass tiles and set it up in a sorority or something and put a webcam on it so we can study the effects of the water.

Maybe build a few different showers with different types of grout and tilebackers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest issue is getting into a job that you don't know how it's installed, or if it's done properly. The obvious answer is to not touch the job, but are there preventative measures?

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
If this is just a recaulk job there is nothing to be concerned about. If there's a leak, that's another story. Don't guarantee anything about sealing out moisture. You can't. There are tons and tons of threads about caulking vs. grouting, etc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wrong. It's main purpose is to retain an imperceptible amount of water that doesn't dry out to cause mildew over time.

With all due respect, that is stupid as hell.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

With all due respect, that is stupid as hell.
I think that was said in jest..... At least that was how I took it.

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for keeping me straight. Thing is, I've heard so much retarded crap from "seasoned" tile guys over the years, I take nothing for granted anymore.

My favorite was a guy making a curb by nailing up Durock. When I pointed out to the genius that he had just poked about a dozen holes in the pan liner, he reassured me by stating that he always makes sure to caulk the nail head real good. On Durock... I almost told him that wasn't where the hole was, but then I figured, Why bother?

Heck, I'm still amazed how many guys have no idea why a two stage drain has weep holes.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Thanks for keeping me straight. Thing is, I've heard so much retarded crap from "seasoned" tile guys over the years, I take nothing for granted anymore.

My favorite was a guy making a curb by nailing up Durock. When I pointed out to the genius that he had just poked about a dozen holes in the pan liner, he reassured me by stating that he always makes sure to caulk the nail head real good. On Durock... I almost told him that wasn't where the hole was, but then I figured, Why bother?

Heck, I'm still amazed how many guys have no idea why a two stage drain has weep holes.
Oh, the weep holes are for plugging with deck mud so the water doesn't find the drain, leaving the floor nice and moist, too. :laughing:

·
Registered
810 Posts
hehe. I can't tell you how many "tile guys" with twenty years in the business scratched their heads when I explained why you're supposed to pre-slope, then put in the pan liner and then pack the pan. Then I just show them a drain and say, "See these holes? This is where the water that makes it through the deck mud goes."

"Gee. I always wondered what those holes were for."

·
Registered
11,548 Posts

That sounds just like a guy I got to know who had been doing marble installs for 30 years. I asked him for some help on a marble job (time constraints) and I showed up when he had just put a bead of silicone on the mesh tape (Durock) in the vertical corners. WTH!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I showed up when he had just put a bead of silicone on the mesh tape (Durock) in the vertical corners. WTH!

I've gotten past being angry about stupidity. It makes me as dumb as them. It's funny. Imagine the mindset that sees the surface of a what is basically a sheet of gravel as waterproof except for the seams. hehe. It's like caulking the perforations between two sheets of toilet paper.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The problem is there are a lot of guys who have been going at it for 20 years who have 20 anniversaries of their first years experience.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The way I put it is thusly: Some men prize their own ignorance more than gold. If you try to steal their ignorance from them by craftily replacing it with knowledge, they will treat you as a brigand. A robber. How dare you?

Pride is Satan's favorite tool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts