Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
15,920 Posts
It may depend on how its wrapped.
Are you talking about wraps that slip behind jay channels on the flat? About an inch? Or overlay residing with foam that bumps the jay out past the brick mold of the windows. Then yes any other time no

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a debate I'm having. I've never done it where the j channel is caulked to the wrap and my main siding installer who has been doing it for 30 years can count on one hand how many times he's done it in his career.

I never knew it was a way that guys did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I do it.
Wrapped right or not, why provide an entrance for water to enter and get behind the siding, especially with a hard, driving rain?

I try to make the house as water impermeable as possible which includes sealing the gap between the "J" and the window capping.

I know some don't agree, but I use tape down the J to give me a nice. neat straight line.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
J channels are relatively small pieces with relatively short runs around an opening. They're not like large pieces of siding which may have substantial expansion/contraction.

Also, caulk does expand and contract to some degree.

If the caulk did prevent the channel from moving, the worst that would happen is the channel would appear wavy as it was exposing or contracting. The piece is small in comparison to the siding it wouldn't be noticeable. But, my point is, that is far better than water getting in behind the siding: leaking behind the siding, down the house wrap till the water finds a nail and nail hole and then into the house.

In my opinion, I just think it's better to leave the house as water impermeable as possible: no openings.

But I'm also always ready to admit my way is wrong if you know a better way. I'm always willing to learn a better way of doing something.

·
Registered
15,920 Posts
Alot of times in these type of installs the gaps can be ugly because the jay lays funny so the caulk looks neater. If you do one, do them all so they look the same.

Jay is very ridgid with its shapes and I have never seen an issue with caulk preventing its movement.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Back in the day when I did lots of siding, we always caulked the j to the wrap. Now I have been at a lot of he houses and aparts I sided and never say where the j had buckeled from being caulked.

I think that the j does not move as much as the siding.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts