Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found the answers to my questions elsewhere. I was just looking for info on something I haven’t seen a lot of in area in my years of GC ing. Some good info here from some, but a lot of jerks offering little to no advice, just more concerned of whether I was a contractor or just a home owner seeking advice, like their advice is rocket science or something and can’t be obtained from anywhere else. I am a contractor with many years experience, I’m glad to help anyone and thought this was a place for like minded people.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sorry for misunderstanding saying yes to caulk. Thought a quick answer would be enough for him to go away. Please send him to diy site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
8,348 Posts
Think your question through a little more.

Why would you want to caulk every batten?Unless you’re only doing only 1 strip every 4 feet and you’re using 4 foot wide vertical panels - a butt joint every 4 ft. If you are doing traditional battens at 24 inch or 16 inch on center, why would you put caulking under the one or two respectively that are not located over a butt joint?

If you’re a contractor this will make sense to you. If you’re just a curious homeowner, there is a wonderful site where people will jump at the opportunity to share their opinions and experiences.

diychatroom.com

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
We never caulked the battens.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I’ve used smart board 3 1/2 wide over hardie and in the specs of the smart board it called for caulking all seams. Your system might be different but I think it is best to do what the manufacturer requires.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You a contractor?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1605-Country-Club-Cir-Las-Cruces-NM-88001/51478227_zpid/
One I did a few years ago. Go to picture 7

looks good
Think your question through a little more.

Why would you want to caulk every batten?Unless you’re only doing only 1 strip every 4 feet and you’re using 4 foot wide vertical panels - a butt joint every 4 ft. If you are doing traditional battens at 24 inch or 16 inch on center, why would you put caulking under the one or two respectively that are not located over a butt joint?

If you’re a contractor this will make sense to you. If you’re just a curious homeowner, there is a wonderful site where people will jump at the opportunity to share their opinions and experiences.

diychatroom.com
[/
We are renovating/building a house, we installed hardie board and batten. This is the first job for me using hardie vertical, I’ve done vinyl before and lap board hardie. For caulking we are using solar seal. One of my painters said the only caulking needed on the battens is if there are cracks larger than 1/16” another said all of it needs caulking. My question for today is: Should each batten strip be caulked? Some places here and there may have a 1/16” gap, but for the most part there’s not much of a crack in between the strip and the sheet. I have a new guy working for me and I’m going to put him to caulking, priming and maybe painting since all my painters are struggling to keep help right now.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Wow, some folks just look at an opportunity to jump on a newbie to the site, I guess that’s typical with know it all’s. I’m hear to gain knowledge, ask questions and may have some knowledge I can share, but now I’m second guessing why I joined.
What you don't realize is the amount of DIY'ers and HO's we get on this site asking for free advice it's a joke. Do they ask a mechanic how to repair their car? Do they ask their doctor how to perform a surgery?

You sounded like an HO are you renovating or building and if you're a contractor you should follow LP's procedures.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Lighten up, folks. Welcome.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forget it guys,gals, and the confused. I’ve probably done more than some of you have in my 54 years as as a home owner, as a mechanic, as a welder , as a carpenter, as a roofer, as a contractor, and other things. But I do not claim to know it all, and I wanted a go to place where I can get advice based on others experience, opinions, advice etc. board and batten Is one thing I have not seen much of in my area and I’ve only done it in vinyl. It is becoming popular here and We are going to start doing more of our own painting. I have looked at the manufactures recommendations and none of them are really clear on the question i asked. I just asked one simple question and really didn’t learn anything except who the jerks are, and that some do caulk them all and some don’t. So I guess I’ll be un joining the site.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
On most of the jobs around here I have not seen any caulk on batt and board installs. Have done LP lap siding and only caulkedaround windows and cornor trim. Where I would be more concerned is with horizonal trim where water could lay and get in behind. Like most siding they are only meant to shed water not water proof.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Issues I see are where they run a horizontal batt at the bottom and then vertical Batts into it. Caulk there for sure, but eventually they will rot.

Depending on materials of course.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
8,348 Posts
So REALLY you're not a contractor because your skin is TOO THIN to take a little heat and push back.

Getting huffy this easy is a dead give away. Oh well. Better luck at diychatroom.com

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So REALLY you're not a contractor because your skin is TOO THIN to take a little heat and push back.

Getting huffy this easy is a dead give away. Oh well. Better luck at diychatroom.com
Who’s huffy, I put up with enough bs daily in the real world, i didn’t expect to put up with bs on a site like this, but i guess here its plagued with keyboard dick heads. I’m on a bunch of truck forums and they too have their share of jerks, so I shoulda figured it would the same here. I guess I wasn’t expecting that here. Most of my other contractor buddies are a bunch of good ole boys that don’t mind sharing knowledge etc.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Not trying to be rude or anything. But need to fish or cut bait. Not saying right or wrong ,but this type of things happen when one has not became a part of the group and added any input on things. Have so many one question people come and go. so it gets a little old for some. Stick around add to things. let guys get to know you. Really are some great guys here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts