Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drywalls fill me in here...I was on a site where the renovator (didn't seem like a very competent guy) was putting up sheetrock and ran a bead of alex caulking on every inside corner...no mud or tape.

I asked hi, why because I've never seen anyone do this and he claimed its "faster and looks better".

I have yet to see what the end result looks like but I'm still puzzled by it, is this common?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It will look good for a little while.

You should tell him you knew about a guy that also just caulked the flat joints. The rube will probably spend years trying to figure out how to do it.

Spin him up even more tell him you caulk the tile floors in the field too.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Only time I ever did that was in an office where I put up a wall cutting off a hallway into a prefinished space....they didn't want to get into trying to match the wall paper so we caulked the joint and a contrasting paper went up on the new wall....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I run across caulk in the corners all the time, but that's plaster and a lot of guys figure it's easier to caulk then tape and mud the corners, but new sheetrock with no tape that is just wrong:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
You may see that in remodeling occasionally but not all that often. But it's a standard way of fixing corner cracks in modulars and doublewides after being shipped from the factory. Many factories drop the pretextured roof on the house with a crane and finish it this way.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So its safe to assume that when putting new drywall up in a reno its a bit of a hack move?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I would never pay anyone
who did that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
The people who list what they want done and for how much on craigslist probably would. All they see is the price tag, serves em right. It's gratifying to see a patch job or paint job done by a real schmuck.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I remember once caulking where someone's mud had cracked in a corner ( very small crack), but I would never try to caulk a complete joint.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
This seems to be a commercial thing in my area.

I have been on multiple jobs for two different commercial GC's, and all the drywall inside corners were caulked - no mud and tape.

I asked around and the most common answer was that it was faster.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,463 Posts
Did they use fire caulk? If not it shouldn't pass code.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
In remodeling I will run a small bead of dynaflex 230 in the corner after mudding, taping and priming and just prior to texture.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
In remodeling I will run a small bead of dynaflex 230 in the corner after mudding, taping and priming and just prior to texture.
I have done that (after tape). It makes a smooth corner for paint.

:whistling

OK... I did caulk-only just the lids on a job that was getting crown..once. It saved a lot of time, but just didn't feel right.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
This seems to be a commercial thing in my area.

I have been on multiple jobs for two different commercial GC's, and all the drywall inside corners were caulked - no mud and tape.

I asked around and the most common answer was that it was faster.

Yep same here it is a comercial thing. Have seen it a several times but allways on comercial buildings.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts