Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas for keeping caulk from freezing in my trailer in the cold/winter months. Right now I warm them in the truck before use. I was wondering if any body had any input or ideas. Thanks in advance for any help or input.

POWER

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Someone on here cut a hole in the bottom of a cooler big enough for a drop light cord to fit in, the light gives off enough heat to keep them from freezing. I just put them in front of the heater

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Maybe a good 48 qt cooler + jug of water inside. The idea is that as the water is freezing, it gives off enough heat to keep everything from going below 32. But if it freezes fully, you're sunk...maybe a cooler with a black lid would take on enough heat during the day....

...oh, and heat a brick on the engine block and toss it in there from time to time. :)

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Someone on here cut a hole in the bottom of a cooler big enough for a drop light cord to fit in, the light gives off enough heat to keep them from freezing. I just put them in front of the heater
I think that was me

Or someone else had the same idea. Works pretty good, also good for keeping a change of gloves warm.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
I've done something similar with a 5 gallon bucket & a drop light screwed to a piece of plywood that fit over the bucket. I found that applying warmed exterior caulk in a cold environment didn't work all that well.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I had a Renewal by Andersen sliding door because of logistics and disposal and a bad back/lazy. The subcontractor/installer had a therostatically controlled box in the trailer to store the caulk. He did 750 to 800 doors a year and I attended the same window installation class ($800 cost) as him to learn about installation for my moisture and insurance problems and they never mentioned the storage of materials in the class so he knew more than me.

Reactions: chewy

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
How about some sort of solar panel heater or light.
A light won't keep the entire trailer warm and I really don't want to rearrange the trailers just to keep certain tools warm. A solar setup would be cool but spendy, a bank of batteries to run a heater would be expensive, if your just running a single light bulb it wouldn't be as bad.

But the heater is an easy cheap solution, plus lunch time in a warm trailer is better than sitting in the cold.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
The old company I worked for built a small room about 8x6, insulated the carp out of it, and had one job light plugged into the wall. Never dropped bellow freezing.
and this was before global warming when it used to get REAL cold.... :laughing:

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
A light won't keep the entire trailer warm and I really don't want to rearrange the trailers just to keep certain tools warm. A solar setup would be cool but spendy, a bank of batteries to run a heater would be expensive, if your just running a single light bulb it wouldn't be as bad.

But the heater is an easy cheap solution, plus lunch time in a warm trailer is better than sitting in the cold.
What kind of heater are you using?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What kind of heater are you using?
I'm not Robert, but...

I have a 1500w oil filled heater in my 7x20. Keeps things from freezing inside until gets below 0.

I put reflective bubble insulation in my roof, but have nothing in my side walls. I run mine all winter long.

This is my 4th year using the same heater and I'm noticing the heat is not quite as good so I suspect I'm going to replace it just so it doesn't fail this winter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts