Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an air or battery powered caulk gun? I have a lot of windows to caulk and was wondering if they were any good.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used a ryobi one a guy had. it actually worked pretty good. Makita has one now but they seem kinda pricey compared to the others.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a ridgid battery that does the small and big tubes. It works good, but it's heavy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone try the air powered? They are at least half the price. I don't think this is going to be an every day or week type of tool. I was looking at the Milwaukee 12 volt, it's $150 on amazon which isn't too bad. There's a Campbell Hausfield air gun for $30.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not a Ryobi fan, but I have the Ryobi 18v caulk gun. We did a replacement window job in an apartment complex 2 years ago. It was 1800 windows. It saved a bunch of time and energy. It worked well, but it was harder to master getting a smooth bead every time. I wouldn't think of getting it out on small residential jobs, but definitely on large scale "commercial".

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's the one problem with RIDGID and their power tools they introduce a tool and discontinue it right away. If a company has a caulk gun in your battery platform I would just get the bare tool version.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have used the air powered one. I don't remember what brand. It worked well. We lost a fair amount of glue because the glue would continue to ooze out. We could unplug the air, but the plunger was still putting pressure against the tube. A different brand might be better. Of course they may be better in the last 15 years. We only used quart tubes for sub-floor. It came with a 10oz adapter. Never used it. It was pretty hard to control the flow so I figured trying to caulk a window would not work out.
For your application you wouldn't want to drag an air hose around anyway.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
I use the Ryobi 18V. Works well, but doesn't take big tubes. It takes some time to get used to a delay between pulling the trigger and getting caulk flowing, but you can get a consistent bead with some practice. You can also have trouble getting into tight areas because the battery sticks out further than the handle on a regular caulk gun.

Useable for pre-paint finish caulking and construction adhesives - good control over flow rate.

My carpal tunnel tells me it was an excellent purchase.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered an air gun at Grainger today. It's supposed to be in tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know how it works when I use it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts