Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys well the other day I started my wonderful machine and the thing smoked out the yard with blue smoke (kinda looked like a phish concert:laughing:) the manifold and intake had signs of oil on them I am thinking the seal went bad on the turbo is my thinking correct ?

·
Contractor
7,426 Posts
Kind of looks like the seal may have gone, but I have never had a turbo fail, So I don't know, it could be something else, but the smoke, and oil on the manifold certainly indicates oil in the intake. Turbo seal is a prime candidate.

Maybe you can get it rebuilt cheaper than a replacement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of looks like the seal may have gone, but I have never had a turbo fail, So I don't know, it could be something else, but the smoke, and oil on the manifold certainly indicates oil in the intake. Turbo seal is a prime candidate.

Maybe you can get it rebuilt cheaper than a replacement.
Ya I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can get it rebuilt the guy I brought the turbo to today said all he could get was new for $1020 idk this machine is killing me thanks for the reply

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Are you guys joking about hauling backwards? I see lots of people hauling backwards and it seems most of the weight is in rear anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you guys joking about hauling backwards? I see lots of people hauling backwards and it seems most of the weight is in rear anyway.
The reason he said that is not about weight or anything it's because when you haul it backwards(which is fine ) the exhaust will intake the air at the speeds you are going and spin the turbo without oil going to it that's why he said without tape because you duct tape the exhaust if you haul backwards . Look at an excavator on the back of a low bed next time your cruising down 495 or 90 the exhaust should be taped

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
was told by case mechanic, that you never have to tape their exhaust. timing is such that you'll never have any valves open at a time that allows air flow in through the head to spin the turbo with the engine shut down.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've never heard of this, but I might just be green. Haul our skid steers front facing on the tag trailers, but I think they go on rear facing on the lowboy. I know we've got a couple hitachi 200's that see a pretty good amount of lowboy time from job to job and we've never taped a exhaust. Think the old one has 14-16k hours on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never heard of this, but I might just be green. Haul our skid steers front facing on the tag trailers, but I think they go on rear facing on the lowboy. I know we've got a couple hitachi 200's that see a pretty good amount of lowboy time from job to job and we've never taped a exhaust. Think the old one has 14-16k hours on it.
Mox idk man that's what I was always told and everyone around here does it weather it does good or not idk .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts