Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Who the hell would pay $1500 for a cast iron tub when you can buy them new for under $500.

Are you talking about claw foot tubs?
Yep clawfoot tubs. You take the legs off and they blast of all the paint til the details come back then take them to the artsy lady and paint a nice design or gold leaf or what ever on the legs and a matching border around the outside and walla you got a classic restoration. refinish the inside.

It takes a lot of work to restore them back to looking like new. We put in about 2 weeks on each tub

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I've got a six foot reclining cast iron Koler tub, I beleive it was about 350 lbs. No idea what it's worth today, but a lot more than $500. If you're asking for load, double up your joists. Think what that will weigh full of water and two people in it :w00t: ( or more )

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
take them to the artsy lady and paint a nice design or gold leaf or what ever on the legs and a matching border around the outside and walla you got a classic restoration. refinish the inside
badda boom badda bing. and a little cha-ching! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
if your thinking about removing it and how many people it will take, the answer is one, take a sledge hammer and bust it into 4 pieces, the scrap metal people will pay you the same per pound and it's alot easier to get out.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Got a new one in my house, 400lbs.

Yeap, I've busted them up for years. Always wondered how the old timers got them up to the upstairs bathrooms. Most bathrooms have a 2' door and NARROW stairs.
Even to this day I have had to lift massive tubs into a house before the internal walls are up. We also used to have to do the same with 100 gallon storage tanks in the loft. The last one I did where we done this was a 200 gallon tub. That thing was fun to move around even without walls.

But even that was nothing compared to a 1500lb tub we had to install in my mates house.

·
New Quirky Carpenter
1,341 Posts
No More Two Pieces

if your thinking about removing it and how many people it will take, the answer is one, take a sledge hammer and bust it into 4 pieces, the scrap metal people will pay you the same per pound and it's alot easier to get out.
Usually around 300-350 for size you're talking about.

Like This?

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Even to this day I have had to lift massive tubs into a house before the internal walls are up. We also used to have to do the same with 100 gallon storage tanks in the loft. The last one I did where we done this was a 200 gallon tub. That thing was fun to move around even without walls.

Most of the ones I've torn out around here have the old hex tile underneath the tub. I don't think tile was laid before the walls were up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.