Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time I used cast iron Lennox blades I purchased sometime ago. I had a cast pipe I had to cut in an awkward place where the grinder would not fit; instead of renting one of those chain splitters I opted to use the sawzall.

Surprisingly it cut clean and straight but better pack a lunch because they are slow! The blade didn't suffer all that much damage but I don't think I will be tossing out the grinder for the sawzall anytime soon.:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the blade hold up? Port-a-band would not have fit into this corner.

I cut the pipe into 4 foot sections with my 4.5" grinder and a cheap 3 dollar cut-off wheel and it cut through it like butter. I had hoped the 12 dollar saw-zall blade would have went a little faster. The sawzall is kinda of a last resort to all cutting jobs saw, I can't live without them but I really don't like em.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Sawzall is one of the most useful tools ever invented. Wide variety of blades to choose from. I once had to cut a section out of an existing steel beam using the sawzall. Beam was very thick and 12 inches tall. One of the cuts had to be on a 45 degree angle. It was one of those deals where the grinder woulda probably caught the house on fire and the partner saw couldn't reach it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sawzall is one of the most useful tools ever invented.
It is for sure, but for me its sort of a jack-of-all-trades master of none. I particularly dislike them because they vibrate so much and are very fatiguing to use.

For years I said I would replace my old DeWalt once it bit the dust but it just keeps taking all the abuse I can throw at it.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
How does the blade hold up? Port-a-band would not have fit into this corner.

I cut the pipe into 4 foot sections with my 4.5" grinder and a cheap 3 dollar cut-off wheel and it cut through it like butter. I had hoped the 12 dollar saw-zall blade would have went a little faster. The sawzall is kinda of a last resort to all cutting jobs saw, I can't live without them but I really don't like em.
The Porta Band blade?

Buy good ones and use the speed control setting on the saw properly and you'll get over a hundred cuts on cast iron pipe with it easily.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy good ones and use the speed control setting on the saw properly and you'll get over a hundred cuts on cast iron pipe with it easily.
Impressive, I've used others portabands for cutting conduit, threaded cores and strut but I never made the plunge myself. I use quite a bit of strut and tube steel but cut it with a 14" chop saw. The portaband was one of those saws that I couldn't justify since I already had the chop and the sawzall...not to mention I really don't have much room to carry around another bulky tool.

But I do like an excuse to buy more tools!

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's an expensive tool to use for metal as you burn through blades pretty quickly. I find that you usually get your money's worth in springing for the better quality blades. What you don't save in replacement blades, you'll save in time.

I use a sawzall almost exclusively for demo, as it's just not precise enough for much else.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It is for sure, but for me its sort of a jack-of-all-trades master of none. I particularly dislike them because they vibrate so much and are very fatiguing to use.

For years I said I would replace my old DeWalt once it bit the dust but it just keeps taking all the abuse I can throw at it.
I recently bought a Makita 15 amp AVT sawzall and it is amazing how good the anti-vibration technology works. It is so much better in that respect than any other sawzall I've tried.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Impressive, I've used others portabands for cutting conduit, threaded cores and strut but I never made the plunge myself. I use quite a bit of strut and tube steel but cut it with a 14" chop saw. The portaband was one of those saws that I couldn't justify since I already had the chop and the sawzall...not to mention I really don't have much room to carry around another bulky tool.

But I do like an excuse to buy more tools!

I have A Porter Cable and the stand with vise for it to convert it into a drop style band saw, the vise holds the material square so that you get a square, burr free cut every time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree with the criticism of the Sawzall in this application. Of course, there's "sawzalls" and there's Milwaukee Sawzall, and yes there is a difference. With that said, one of my plumbers showed me the best way of getting rid of cast iron pipe: bust it with a mini-sledge!

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
With that said, one of my plumbers showed me the best way of getting rid of cast iron pipe: bust it with a mini-sledge!

Would be my guess he was tieing back into it. :shifty: ?

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
For strut and other such steel get a speed demon blade from diablo... oh yeah and get a face shield. Those blades are amazing, I have one in a 7 1/4 worm drive for cutting steel studs and its just like cutting wood... except for the hot pieces of metal flying wildly about :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those blades work well when you find a broken piece of cast under your slab. And the slab is below a cabinet that can't be moved because of a tile counter top.
Good thing this happened next to the fridge in my bar.

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
i tryed some milwaukee cast iron blades i bought a ferguson a while back.they worked a lot better than lennox blades,i wasreally suprised :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts