Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am wondering the details, says for homeowners...what does this mean they send in there recipts from the Depot of the stuff they bought.

Or can they write off an entire invoice, well something at least more along these lines.

Any ideas.,.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im very interested in hearing what this includes and how i go about getting it refunded. Also i wonder if i can do the work on my own home and bill my self and get the rebates?

Genius,

Billing your self, heck I would even do close friends and family for a good rate.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of what it covers.

"consumers might be eligible for a 50% rebate on both the price of the equipment and the installation, up to $12,000"

·
Registered
497 Posts
from CNN/Money ...."For the federal proposal, Nadel said they are working on creative financing: One idea is to partner with some of the big-box stores to cover some of the up-front costs.

A spokesperson for Lowe's (LOW, Fortune 500) said they had been in contact with federal officials and that they are open to creative financing measures, but would not disclose any details of the conversation. A spokesperson for Home Depot (HD, Fortune 500) said the company is supportive of the plan in general, but that it was too early to talk specifics."

If this leads to using products from the big box stores, it will be another waste of tax dollars that helps the big guys (remember AIG, Wells Fargo, etc) not the small contractor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Probably the same as the tax credit for windows and doors where you can only deduct material cost. then you have to break down the bill for the homeowner and who wants to show people what you make on them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This morning's guess is that labor and material both count toward a total of $24,000 for a 50% credit of some sort.

Supposedly each home would need a blower door test to identify the leaks, then a contractor would be hired (DIY not eligible) to perform the upgrades.

Downside is if they go through Blowes, Home Creapo or the other big box, the contractor could be forced to use inferior products and the mark-up limited. I can see a scenario where Blowes sells the product and anyone who participates must become a Blowes approved installer. Then we are back to providing labor so the big box can peddle its wares.

How would that help the construction industry?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
He's just posing "hope" like he always does. AND YES, I am hoping for something here.

My guess is that it will be a homeowner thing (big box stores selling non American made junk), and it will probably also be a "union only" thing. If it doesn't line the pockets of the unions I will be VERY surprised.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Retrofitting existing homes to be more energy efficient is a great idea but is no simple task. Every home is different, there is no 'one-size' fits all here. One needs to look at the entire house as a whole system to see where improvements should be made that will yield the best ROI. This type of work can impact many different home systems: HVAC, Insulation, Foundations, Electrical, Roofing & Plumbing.

Contractors also need to be trained to do this work properly. I have attended a few trainings on the subject and recommend the following book for those wanting to get an introduction to and learn more about the topic. See Residential Energy Cost Saving and Comfort for Existing Buildings by John Krigger and Chris Dorsi.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Cash for clunkers worked out so well, why not try it with peoples homes.:eek:

BTW the people who traded in their cars, didn't get a good deal as the dealers jacked up the prices on the cars, did not give them fair trade in values, plus the people are now getting a 1099 for $4500.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not to put another damper on anyone's rainy day but, - - I hope this is not the 'hope and change' you all thought you were waiting for . . .

You'll get enough of the gist :)rolleyes:) within the first 40 seconds;

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Hahaha thats as funny as it is frustrating and true

The cash for clunkers cost billions of dollars. People who needed to buy a car would've bought one without the program. People who were pushing off decided to not to push it off and got the car earlier instead. So when those people who were going to buy their cars in july dont, is there just going to be ANOTHER STIMILUS?

Here is something I never understood. Lets say I owed a guy 20 dollars. How is spending another of my 20 dollars going to get me out of debt with this first guy? That is all this junk is. :furious:

The sad thing is that if the people lead, the leaders will have to follow yet not enough people can stand together although I have not yet met one person who likes our president or met one who is still happy they voted for him.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Hahaha thats as funny as it is frustrating and true

The cash for clunkers cost billions of dollars. People who needed to buy a car would've bought one without the program. People who were pushing off decided to not to push it off and got the car earlier instead. So when those people who were going to buy their cars in july dont, is there just going to be ANOTHER STIMILUS?

Here is something I never understood. Lets say I owed a guy 20 dollars. How is spending another of my 20 dollars going to get me out of debt with this first guy? That is all this junk is. :furious:

The sad thing is that if the people lead, the leaders will have to follow yet not enough people can stand together although I have not yet met one person who likes our president or met one who is still happy they voted for him.

Another main reason for the cash for clunkers was to get the clunkers off the road and get people driving more economical cars. There's far to many cars in the US that get extremely bad MPG compared to the rest of the world and it was a test to see if we could get more people in more efficient cars. It worked very well.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Another main reason for the cash for clunkers was to get the clunkers off the road and get people driving more economical cars. There's far to many cars in the US that get extremely bad MPG compared to the rest of the world and it was a test to see if we could get more people in more efficient cars. It worked very well.
What is your definition of working very well?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts