Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the previous 680's (such as 680e) were known for issues such as the unreliable case 336 engine.

How about the 680K? It looks like a big and strong machine, but surprisingly quite affordable. I wonder if its low price on the used market is justified by its lesser versatility (larger size than 580), or because it is expensive to fix?

Any experiences/opinions?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Lazerguy,

My only experience with a 680 Case was 3 days running one. The machine was awkward and clumsy feeling. If you need a machine for strength only and wouldn't need to do a lot of manuvering and mostly flat ground. It might be a good choice.

It's just my experience but I can turn out more work with a 580 in the work we do. Which is mostly residential, almost never flat ground and always something there we need to work around.

I feel that the older machines that weighed about 14,000 LBS were the most agile. The new machines have all kinds of comfort and productive features but unless you are a production oriented company the older machines do the job.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Denick!

I went to see a 580C yesterday and fell for it.

I liked the cabin a lot, and frankly, the 580C feels just as strong as my old 680CK.

The used backhoe market must be quite low now, because I bought a 1978 580C in very good shape for the same price as I bought a worn-out 680CK 3 years ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts