Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

casa-de-trailer

6K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  dlcj 
#1 ·
Ok heres one of my favorites. Its not done to bad but still a big waste of money.
Home House Property Building Roof

There's two trailers in there. Dont believe me? Look at this view.
Home Property House Siding Roof

See them now.:laughing:

See less See more
#5 ·
Actually the first trailer (right screen) and one block section was done first with a shingle roof over both (its still under there). Then at some point in time they decided to add another trailer and block building. Then a massive metal roof over the whole thing.:blink: And no extra footings or blocking around the perimeter of the trailers.:no:

#14 · (Edited)
Heres probably the best one ,or worst depending on how you look at it, ive seen yet.
Home House Property Roof Siding

Single wide 14x70 under the back half of this monstrosity.
They did however build the back wall all the way to the ground with foundation. I kinda wondered why the back door jamb was 8" thick. Then I looked in the crawl door, yep theres the frame and wheels.

#15 ·
When my grandparents bought the house that they are in now, there was a trailer on the property. They listed it in the free column. The guy that came to get it told us that this would be the 4th free trailer that he has drug home, and he is thinking about using this one to make his house a 2 story. No joke.

#19 ·
A buddy of mine told me about one he saw. I wish I had a pic or even saw it myself. He said it was a triple wide tri-level stair steped down a hillside connected by 4 foot hall ways. He said it would'nt have been so bad if they had not have used 3 differnt size and style trailers.
The next pictures I have get worse, much much worse.

#21 ·
Generally, I don't think that the final product is what they had in mind to start with. From what I have seen, it goes more like this:
1: Buy land
2: Need house quickly, get trailer, maybe build a house later.
3: Until the house gets built, it would be nice to have a little deck. Doesn't need to be fancy though- 2x4 framing and scrap plywood decking should be fine.
4: Let's build a porch roof, time to get some more 2x4's and roll roofing.
5: We need some more living space, let's completely enclose the deck. We will use those old windows that we scavenged up, should work fine for temporary.
6: Looks like the family is getting bigger, maybe I should put an addition off the other door. What kind of building materials can I scrounge up this time?
7: It sure was nice when we had a deck, maybe we should build another.
8: See #4, #5
9: Hmm, the roof is leaking, I'll just frame over it, to get us through till we can build a house. 2x4 rafters should be fine for short term, and I'm pretty sure I still have some more roll roofing around here somewhere...
10: The aluminum siding on the south side is giving out, t-111 should do the trick. After all, we should be able to afford a house next year.
11: We need some more storage space, so maybe an addition off the addition is in order.
12: Yaa, inherented some money! Finally, we can build the house!!!
13: I bet it would be cheaper to make this place look like a regular house...

#22 ·
I agree with you tempest except for the part that they think that the sub-par materials are good enough for short term. No, most actually think what they are building is the way to do it for good. And no its not a way to get around permits. Permit, whats that for? is it hunting season already?:laughing:
The areas where most of these things are built dont have permits or inspections or any thing of the like.
I cant poke to hard about building without a permit cause ive done plenty of it myself. There's just no such thing in alot of areas around here. At least my work is profesionaly done without a permit.:thumbsup:

#26 ·
I agree with you tempest except for the part that they think that the sub-par materials are good enough for short term. No, most actually think what they are building is the way to do it for good.
There is nothing more permanent than "temporary".

there was/is (?) a house near my parent's that was built around a trailer home that I think that was the plan from the start. They rolled the trailer in and promptly stripped off the roofing and siding. Then they built separate components a little ways away that they hoisted in beside and on top of the trailer with a crane. It took a couple years for the rough framing to be done, and when it was, the trailer in the middle was completely hidden from view and the house was 3 stories tall. Then, they let it sit for about a year without touching it, before taking it all apart again. It's been sitting out in the field in parts for a couple years now. I never have understood what the deal was with that.

#32 ·
There are alot of trailers like this around here. A friend of mine lost his home and garage to a fire and had no insurance. One of the vehicles in the garage was a friends and he was forced to pay for the burned vehicle to boot. He was given an old house trailer to live in and what he did was build a large addition up the one side when he had money. When he saved enough money the second time he yanked out the trailer and built another addition down the side and put on a trussed roof.

Another fella i know bought two halves of double wides and put them together. Funny part was they were opposite halves from two different homes but same size so he ended up with 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, two furnaces and two kitchens. He has since removed one kitchen and made that into the dining room. The living room is huge and everyone has there own bathroom. He also likes that if once furnace craps out he just turns on the other. He put a new roof on it and new siding and the home looks quite presentable.

#33 · (Edited)
I would not be above doing either one of those but my wife on the other hand would have a hart attack at the mention of it.:laughing:
I have built a room addition onto a trailer for a friend of mine on his camp house. I did it so that the trailer could easily be pulled away and finnish out a house should they decide to move there later on down the road. The room (only 20x20 sitting on pillers) could easily be moved also if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.