Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my appraissor today. He gave me a 4 page H.U.D. questionairre to fill out wanting to know what was going to be in the spec house I am planning to build in order to appraise the house. I told him it depends on the appraissal what I'm gonna put in the house. Example: GE Profile gas cooktop versus a Kenmore Joe-Blow Gas cooktop. He told me it sounds crazy but that is what is needed.
Here's the crazy part: It doesn't matter according to him how well appointed the house is, the appraissal is based on square footage and area of town the lot is located. Am I missing something here? :confused:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grumpy, I think I'm gonna price it out with the Taj Mahal of appointments. If I'm gonna waste my time in order to get an appraissal, I might as well have fun window shopping! :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Appraisals are usually based on previous sold houses that are close matches to yours. They also do adds and subtracts if the comps are not exactly the same as yours for example yours has a fire place, none of the others do, they add $500 bucks. Yours is a 2 car garage the other comps are all 3 car garages they subtract $4500 from yours...

You've got a lot of really good questions but I think you need to talk to some developers and spec builders instead of guys who are driving nails for a living. You might want to check out this place:

http://comm.thecreativeinvestor.com/ViewForum26-2797.html

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Good advise Mike but please don't denigrate the audience. I was rolling an SFD about every 3-4 wks. prior to Frances and Jeanne.
I do drive nails for a living but only because I like doing it. Today it was screws. It's how I get my exersise.
BTW, I'm 53, 6-2, 200# and a 34" waist. When I joined the Navy in '69 I was same ht. 195# and a 33" waist. When it comes to work, I'll bury 95% of the young guys that work for me. Last time that I went to the hospital, the triage dude asked me if I was an athlete. 'Driving nails' is good for you.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sorry Grumpy, I have Coors syndrome.
BTW, I moved over 2,000 lbs. of parts 3 times today, the biggest was over 150 (air compressor with hydraulic drive). I can still put the youngsters to shame.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Now that I am the boss, on larger jobs I think I will help the guys with tear offs, even though they are subs. I will even pay them for what I tear off.

Honestly on an easy roof I fly with the fork. I've torn off faster, when I was 20, than any of the roofer's I have witnessed since. Haven't done any tear off's since 20.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts