Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever had a run in with home owners parking in the contractor spots at hd. I am asking because it is a pet peeve of mine. I hate when I pull up and can't get a spot and have to get dry wall or ply wood and there is two or three cars there.
Nicko

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
What? Legitimate contractors can't drive Prius' and Volvos? :laughing:

Reactions: greg24k

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Funny you should say that. One of the builders I work for drives a Prius. He has a truck he brings his trailer with, then uses the Prius exclusively from that point on.

But to the OP, do I get ticked off? Not in the least. I park under the canopy. That, IMO, is the contractors parking spot. I wouldn't be caught dead in the so called contractor parking area.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you should say that. One of the builders I work for drives a Prius. He has a truck he brings his trailer with, then uses the Prius exclusively from that point on.

But to the OP, do I get ticked off? Not in the least. I park under the canopy. That, IMO, is the contractors parking spot. I wouldn't be caught dead in the so called contractor parking area.
Under the canopy is where I am talking about.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The covered area is supposed to be a loading zone, not a parking area. Trying to load your truck up in there is nearly impossible with all the trucks left unattended.
At my local HD it is a parking and loading zone. They have yellow parking lines drawn and a sign in front of each spot that says parking for our pro customers.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
It always boggles my mind when I hear about other areas where they officially allow parking in the loading zone. Makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Our Lowes here always has lots of parking space...it's never an issue for me. And the canopy is for loading only.
Same for me, Lowes or HD, there is a ton of contractor parking. Then again i usually go to the same HD and Lowes so i just do not run into that situation. I am sure if i worked in Los Angeles i would have parking issues though...but parking in general there blows anyway.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Stuff a pillow under your shirt and go in to complain there's no "New and Expecting Mother" parking.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
480sparky said:
Stuff a pillow under your shirt and go in to complain there's no "New and Expecting Mother" parking.
I park in those too call me a d bag but there is no spot that says " so f'n pissed to have to be shopping here in the first place"

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I hate when I pull up and can't get a spot and have to get dry wall or ply wood and there is two or three cars there.
Nicko
It's pretty cool to go to a drywall or plywood distributor or a different lumber yard ....

and pull next to the lift or have it brought to your truck via fork lift. :laughing: No parking problems there :laughing:

Home Despot, Blowes, Johnny's place (menards) they are ""RETAIL"" stores, with RETAIL Customers and RETAIL problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I frequent HD more often than I should admit, but I have NEVER parked under the canopy.

How difficult is it to roll the cart an extra 50 feet to a peon parking space?

I've seen Black Friday types of fights over trying to get out of there when some moron parks right behind a contractor truck so they can't load through the back, etc.

I wheel my cart happily through the BMW's, the Mercedes SUV's, et.al. in the "contractor pick up area" to arrive at my peon parking all the time with much less hassle.

The whole thing reminds me of when I went back to college in the mid 90's with the sole intention of learning Spanish. I parked at the far end of the lot of the community college and always had the same exact space every day. True I had to walk 500 feet every day.

I was amazed at the kids who would circle the parking lot over and over and over and over to find a spot just a "little bit closer", hold up traffic while they watched someone who might be leaving to capture the space, etc. Just dumb.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I drive my wife's Prius to HD on the weekends, and park in the contractor spots. It doesn't say pick up trucks only, and I am still a contractor even when I'm doing honey do stuff.

When I'm in my company truck and I know I won't be in there long, and there is not a lot of activity outside, I park under the canopy.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts

I was amazed at the kids who would circle the parking lot over and over and over and over to find a spot just a "little bit closer", hold up traffic while they watched someone who might be leaving to capture the space, etc. Just dumb.
True story:

One more than one occasion, I've followed a vehicle into a parking lot. I take the first handy spot I see (usually in the outer 30% of the lot), and walk in.

The vehicle I followed in is circling around the lot as I go in.

And,........ yep, you guessed it: They're still circling when I come back out with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It's only the LAZY contractors and ones with attitude problems that PARK under the canopy.

I appreciate them advertising it to me. Tells me who is too LAZY to walk an extra 50 ft and therefore who not to call!

Oh, and those who tool up and park right across the main customer entrance....

1 - 20 of 231 Posts