Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scheduled to show up in january. This sucker is going to be large. 12' long four panel with two middle units sliding. and there are awning windows on the top full length. Little over 8' tall. Aluminum clad doug fir construction made by Loewen. Anyway, this unit is flanged and I need to figure out how to carry it. the operable units will be shipped seperate so that will save some weight. But I'm still looking at probably at least 600 lbs to carry. Salesman recommended suction cups like the glass guys use. He's seen it done before. Just wonder if there is too much weight for the cups? and where the heck to I get them? Anyone have any advice on something like this. Up until now it has just been units that are moveabale with two guys for me. thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the 10 foot long Pellas where a nightmare-----

The suction cups can be rented------

I made two sets of wheels using some old wagon wheels left over from when my kids were young.
Two wheels/one axle/piece of 1x12/ratcheting straps--I'm not sure that will work with such a tall
window. Still took 5 guys and a lot of worry.-----------MIKE---------------------------------

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
When we get large units like that, there are factory installed handles screwed to the jambs. If you have transom windows, I recommend carrying top down to lower the center of gravity. If the units are mulled properly, you should be able to "tabletop" the unit and use four guys to move it around. There is also the option of removing the stationary panels to get the unit into position, according to how the unit is assembled.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As a general rule being a small remodeler, I have pick up most of my materials. That way I can and do cull through the lumber that I will be using. A few exceptions are:

Roofing
tub and shower units
cabinets
large door and windows.

Let them figure out how to get them there and on the ground on their dime.

I also have a few guys that I can call at any time for most anything:thumbup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I built a gym years back so I had to install dozens of large mirrors. I bought two very nice vacuum cups thinking I would use them once and then they would collect dust. Boy was I wrong. I use them all the time for installing windows, counters, cabinets and moving appliances. If you do invest in them you will find them very useful.

Good luck with the door installation.

Dave

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
two 12' 4x4's flat on the ground, lay the door flat onto the 4x4's-centering each stationary panel above the 4x4, then four big guys can carry it around. even the stationary panels are painful to carry... at least you don't have to pull them up to the 2nd floor opening.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Suction cups all the way. Some window/siding wholesalers sell them, or a glass supply house. They come in different sizes, and its amazing how much weight they will hold for their size.

Like said above you will find other uses for them..also for me at least alot of the times when I need them its not really debatable, it would be very unsafe doing the job without them.

I would try to carry the unit just the way it gets unloaded straight to the hole..not familiar with Loewen but alot of these units somewhat resemble 90lbs of ***** in a 10lb bag until they are securely in place.

Glass is very heavy and I really don't want to have a conversation with my supplier about whose fault it is the thing fell apart.

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
Years ago (when we were young and dumb) we would take these large units and man handle them into the openings, no matter what it took. Now that we are older, we know better. Remove as much of the unit as possible. Install frame into opening and tack in place. I usually tack a few scrap blocks over the flanges to hold it from tipping out. Re-install panels and set unit. This is truly the only smart way to do these. Overall, it requires less manpower and results in a better finished product and fewer injuries.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not exactly finished grade outside where this thing is going. Also looking at lifting it up a good 12" to install it. I'm going to try and track down some cups. But I might have to remove the fixed units too. No idea what that entails.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I built a gym years back so I had to install dozens of large mirrors. I bought two very nice vacuum cups thinking I would use them once and then they would collect dust. Boy was I wrong. I use them all the time for installing windows, counters, cabinets and moving appliances. If you do invest in them you will find them very useful.

Good luck with the door installation.

Dave
where did you get your cups? What kind were they? What kind of weight were they rated for? How much did they cost? Thanks, Nick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts