Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carrier furnace that will not turn on with the front panel on. The furnace works fine with the front panel removed. Can someone tell me the cause. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bjd said:
Try checking the switch for the blower cover, it may be damanged

bjd
There are 2 front panels. The bottom is the blower cover with a switch and the top is where the gas valve and burner are located. There is no switch for the top panel. The furnace should work with the top panel off or on, but it only works with the panel off. With the panel on the electronic ignition will just spark without igniting the burner. If I take the top panel off and the burner is ignited and I replace the front panel, the burner goes off. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The pilot orfice on those furnaces was minimal. If they get even the slightest bit dirty the pilot will be too small to prove flame. Cleaning the pilot orfice yearly will be the solution to your problem. Air currents are created when the inducer fan comes on. With the panel off the wind doesn't affect the pilot quite as bad. I know it sounds crazy but I guarantee a dirty pilot is your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even when the flames in the burner are on and I replace the front panel the burners turn off. I am not talking about the pilot flame. The main burner in the combustion chamber. If you think it is still the pilot, how do I clean it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acci,
My Carrier furnace is doing the same thing. I called a service tech to come out and he told me that it was the 3-wire pilot. The estimate was over 500 to replace it, so I bought the part for 65 and installed it. Unfortunately, my furnace is still doing it (pilot lighting, furnace lighting and then going out). Did you solve the problem with your furnace? If so, what was the issue? Thanks and if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cbartony, there is a 3-wire pilot generic replacement that WILL NOT WORK. You must get the original OEM part. Holding the generic up to the original they appear to look EXACTLY the same. But the difference is the inner tube the pilot gas shoots up is a solid tube on the OEM and a slitted tube on the generic. Look closely and you will see.

G

·
Steve Wiggins said:
Cbartony, there is a 3-wire pilot generic replacement that WILL NOT WORK. You must get the original OEM part. Holding the generic up to the original they appear to look EXACTLY the same. But the difference is the inner tube the pilot gas shoots up is a solid tube on the OEM and a slitted tube on the generic. Look closely and you will see.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the tube on the one I installed. I did a side-by-side comparison and I believe that the tube was solid on the replacement part, but I could very well have missed that.

(the furnace started functioning correctly by the morning after my post)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 18 Year Old Carrier Pilot Burner Turns Off and On

and therefore the main burner won't come on. Here is how my story ended happily and it did not not cost me one dime. Before I found this forum I chased around looking for a solution to my furnace problem including taking to the guy I know from casual conversation who sells furnaces outside of the local Home Depot. He told me that it could be from my description the 3 wire Pilot Burner had failed. I found one site that sells this part for $116.00 but I read one of the replies here that suggested that the orfice of the Carrier Pilot Burner was clogged. I held the Pilot up to the light and could not see anything so I went to my wife's sewing machine drawer and tried a straight pin to clean the orfice. A straight pin is too big for the orfice hole so I next tried something called a "beading" needle and guess what. . .I could now see light thru the orfice. I reassemble the Pilot Burner and 10 minutes later my furnace came back to life using only my wife's beading needle. Cost: $00.00. Thanks to Steve Wiggins and his suggestion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts