Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am NOT a HVAC tech nor do I claim to be. I'm not even a DIYer when it comes to HVAC. I am a donut maker by trade (photographer by passion), but I AM looking for some straight answers. I know I'll prolly be kicked out of here, but I would like some help from you hard working HVAC professionals.
I have a Carrier 48 ss on top of my (donut) shop that was manufactured 3-97 and installed 7-97. In '98 it worked well. Not perfect or even great, but well. From spring of '99 until present I've had to call the same company out, sometimes several times, to get it to work again, only to last the season and that's it. Every time it's "I can't find anything wrong with it and that will be $$$ dollars." I'm on my third compressor now which was installed less than two months ago and it's already dying. I. E. the Tstats set on 72 and it won't cool below 80, and is prgressively getting worse. I guess they won't stand behind thier work or product considering they keep charging me, but is this right? Is it possible to have gotten a lemon of an a/c unit? Have any of you had this kind of bad experience with this brand/model? Was there a recall on this unit or something per chance? I've also contacted Carrier about this problem only to be given the run around. Is this model one of those cheap replaceable ones that rattles it self apart after (X) years? As I stated earlier, I'm not touching it, I'm just looking for some answers. I do thank you for any help you could give me. It's greatly appreciated.
Dave-0

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not an AC tech but it sounds like the unit is to small for you're shop. If it was never great from the beginning it may not have been properly sized. You have to take into account the amount of BTU's that you're cooking/baking is giving off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plumguy said:
I'm not an AC tech but it sounds like the unit is to small for you're shop. If it was never great from the beginning it may not have been properly sized. You have to take into account the amount of BTU's that you're cooking/baking is giving off.
Usually for a few weeks after they've been there, it works just fine. Cycles just as it should. My shop is only 1200 & change S.F., and I do believe the unit is a five ton. But alas, we do have many heat producing appliances now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Square footage means nothing. Find you a contractor that will do a heat load calculation that will take into account the appliances and their usage for sizing. As for the 48SS, they are an ok unit and I have many installed in various applications. That being said they are the bottom end as far as the product line ie the cheapest available. That doesn't affect their ability to perform or function as they should. If properly sized, installed, and cared for they will do just as well as the top end models. There are no recalls of this product or any service bulletins/upgrades. If you have had that many compressor failures, I would begin to think that the company didn't properly evacuate the system and replace filter driers on the first and consecutive compressors. They also seemed to have not determined the cause of the first compressor failure (power surge, brown outs, dropped phase etc). I would start looking for a new company and new system or systems if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts