Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what type of professional carpet cleaning systems do installers and sales man recommend for customers. I use and have used the Bane-Clene system for 9 years now. I've also seen a increase in customers that get new carpet saying that they are told to not have it cleaned. I just wonder what the logical thinking behind telling them to never have their carpets cleaned is? Unless it is to try and resell them new carpet faster. Any thoughts on these things welcome.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always recommend HWE for cleaning. I've heard of Bane-Clean but don't really know what the particulars are with that system.

I just wonder what the logical thinking behind telling them to never have their carpets cleaned is? Unless it is to try and resell them new carpet faster. Any thoughts on these things welcome.
As much as I like a good conspirisy theory, I think many people making this reccommendation have no idea what they are talking about. My first boss was part of this camp. They see delamination from floods or urine damage and cme to the conclusion that water is bad for carpet. I think it takes education not just for the consumer but installers and sales people as well. The mills state in their warrantees that the carpet must be proffessionally cleaned periodically(usually12-18 months) so as not to void their warrantee. Anyone reccommending otherwise needs to find a new carreer.

Don

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Ben is right on the money. I can't agree more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Florcraft said:
I can't agree more.
You could try Florcraft, but you would not be succeed. Please, call me Don :Thumbs:

JST1tech;
Caould you describe Bane-Clean for us? Is it a particular method of cleaning or is it as I suspect more of a trafemarked deal with exclusive chemicals/machines? Or something else.

Always interested in more,
Don

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Benhamcarpetguy said:
You could try Florcraft, but you would not be succeed. Please, call me Don :Thumbs:

Some things I want to add just in case down the road, someone does a search for carpet cleaning.

Hot water extraction is of course recommended by ALL manufacturers for nylon carpets.

Dry cleaning can leave more residue which will help your carpet to soil quicker.
It is a good method for cleaning if you have a party later that day, and you absolutely need dry carpet, but not for regular maintenance.
Think of carpet cleaning similiar to hair cleaning. How many of you would dry clean your hair if available? How many of you would do it everyday as regular maintenance?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I was always told that it was the dirt (grit) that caused the most damage to carpet. It abrades the fibers and decomposes the pile. A regular cleaning should extend the life of a carpet.
Help Flor! I just got new carpet.
I only do wood and laminates. Grit tears them up too.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
That's right, grit causes major damage to the fibers, and helps break them down.
Taking your shoes off will help more than upgrading the pad.
Regular VACUUMING rather than constant cleaning will help the most.
Cleaning by HWE should really only need to be done every 12-18 months. Vacuuming with a nice vacuume cleaner will do wonders. Spend the extra money on a new cleaner, it will save you money in the long run.
And take those shoes off!

U

·
0 Posts
Hwe

What does the HWE stand for? Which chemiacal professional uses for deep cleaning carpet?

Mi

Benhamcarpetguy said:
I always recommend HWE for cleaning. I've heard of Bane-Clean but don't really know what the particulars are with that system.

As much as I like a good conspirisy theory, I think many people making this reccommendation have no idea what they are talking about. My first boss was part of this camp. They see delamination from floods or urine damage and cme to the conclusion that water is bad for carpet. I think it takes education not just for the consumer but installers and sales people as well. The mills state in their warrantees that the carpet must be proffessionally cleaned periodically(usually12-18 months) so as not to void their warrantee. Anyone reccommending otherwise needs to find a new carreer.

Don

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
HWE= Hot water extraction. AKA steam cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts