Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an orientation for the carpenters on August 21st (NYC) Any advice on what I should do there?

·
Registered
573 Posts
This is were they tell you about all the benefits. Yeah just listen don't be the guy that has something to say about everything. Typically not in the form of a question. Other than that. The couple of hours of your life it take means you don't have to pay Initiation fees just 3 months dues up front. Then after that you can pay dues late up to 6 months. Use the threaten letters of being kicked out as ass wipe.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I got an orientation for the carpenters on August 21st (NYC) Any advice on what I should do there?
do you have to be a NYC resident? how long did it take to get to that point? I took the test in NJ in February and am just now being interviewed on Tuesday 7 months later.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm not against union carpenters at all. But here, it's very political. Meaning, it's not how good you are or how good of an employee you are, it's who you know that governs whether you work everyday or get laid off, plus the type of work you do.

That part sucks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'm not against union carpenters at all. But here, it's very political. Meaning, it's not how good you are or how good of an employee you are, it's who you know that governs whether you work everyday or get laid off, plus the type of work you do.

That part sucks
I think it's like that everywhere. still gonna give it a shot since having benefits and a pension would be cool.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Many yrs ago, I was doing some work for my mom. The neighbor who lives across the street was an important person in the carpenter's union and offered me a position.

I was working for the city at the time so I had steady employment with great benefits etc., it just want what I wanted to do. I was extremely excited and started to get my sucks in a row making ready for the transition.

That was till I discovered the starting salary. It was really low, like $10.00 an hour or something. I had an apartment and car payment. Financially, it just want an option. I know the salary increases fairly rapidly over the yrs. But I just couldn't afford the salary reduction at the time.

I wonder where I'd be if I took the chance.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Many yrs ago, I was doing some work for my mom. The neighbor who lives across the street was an important person in the carpenter's union and offered me a position.

I was working for the city at the time so I had steady employment with great benefits etc., it just want what I wanted to do. I was extremely excited and started to get my sucks in a row making ready for the transition.

That was till I discovered the starting salary. It was really low, like $10.00 an hour or something. I had an apartment and car payment. Financially, it just want an option. I know the salary increases fairly rapidly over the yrs. But I just couldn't afford the salary reduction at the time.

I wonder where I'd be if I took the chance.
it varies depending on the state, unfortunately. journeyman rate in NJ is $42/hr and even 1st year apprentice is like $18. but a lot of surrounding states journeymen only get $27.50.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
Every union job I've seen there's always at least one guy working and several others standing around talking.

You can be that one guy working.
I was a union carpenter and that's nothing like it is here. You have to bust a nut if want to stay working. Union carpenter jobs around here are mainly commercial or industrial. A lot of internal backstabbing going on. It was not for the weak that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts