Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Allentown, PA ... A local hospital has seen fit to hire a non-union construction management firm to finish 3rd and 4th floors of new building.

Seems like the union is opposed, as some of the workers hired are illegal's.
The men protesting are handing out a paper asking passerbuys to call the hospital business administrator.

But the union has help !!! Take a look ... This guy is BIG!

Attachments

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Two commercial jobs in my area went non-union. A local bank and retail outlet.

Both have huge inflatable rats as part of their demonstration and at least 10-15 guys picketing during the day...

·
framer
154 Posts
It's the same here, they don't have much work so instead of restructuring or looking for other ways to find work, they try to make it hard on those of us who do have work.
They picket our jobs, call us scabs and don't pay fair wages. Then try to get us to sign up.
If were that bad what would they want with us in the 1st place?

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
So that's the image that they want associated with the union? The fat cat choking the little guy? I mean, it's accurate and all, but probably not the most positive image they could put forward.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Down the road from one of my jobs is St Josephs Hospital and a Union would drag out the inflatable rats and picket them for some reason, I think it had something to do with medical records, patient care or something like that.

I was hopoing they would be back so I could get pictures of them.

Another Hopsital on Dale Mabry gets the same rat treatment on occasion too.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So instead of wasting their time walking in circles with signes and spending money on custom made inflatable fat-cats why not use that effort to find work?

Do they have concrete proof that these people are infact illegals?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I agree,It's not a very good impression to be the "Fat Cat" squeezing the little guy,and once the unions realize they have to make concessions,maybe some of our larger corporations will be able to survive in the USA.
I don't understand what they're gaining by picketing,other than educating the general public of the fact their days may be numbered.

Let them picket,It'll keep them busy and off Craigs list,or doing side jobs at reduced prices while they collect unemployment wages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts