Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've used the husky carpenters mechanical pencil, as well as the Irwin, and they both worked great, problem is you do eventually run out of lead, which will mean going back to the truck for more, as it would get destroyed riding around in your bags every day.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,098 Posts
I am looking for a good quality pencil for framing, siding, foundation work.

The pencils we get from the lumberyards often don't last a day without the lead breaking.

Anyone have good suggestions?

I hate sharpening them numerous times till you get to good led...
Then go to make a mark and a 1 in. piece falls out. :mad:

It's from the guy at the yard slapping them down on the counter. I really hate when they do that. :rolleyes: (Not that I got any pencils in many years. Cheap :censored:)

I like these...

Cosmetics Eye liner Pencil Pen Office supplies

The kids pencils from kindygarden...

Whenever I see them, I grab a handful.

Sharpen with a knife in the field and in the AM or when a fine line is required, I have this on one of my doors.

Tool accessory Machine

D.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Johnson mechanical carpenters pencil

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Primary pencil sounds so much better than kindergarten pencil. I'm going to use that.

Sorry for the derail Tim. Have you tried the Milwaukee Inkzall fine point? It does a pretty nice job and it's a lot easier for me to see on PT. I found the wet surface claims to be overblown. We recently laid out a bunch of stringers in some light rain and it didn't do the job. My[STRIKE] kindergarten[/STRIKE] primary pencil worked just fine though.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
This tread urged me to research some better sharpening techniques. I break too much "lead" (graphite), too.

It seems that pushing the blade with one's thumb to carve it helps to minimize the breakage (instead of whittling it like a stick). Worth a shot.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,098 Posts
This tread urged me to research some better sharpening techniques. I break too much "lead" (graphite), too.

It seems that pushing the blade with one's thumb to carve it helps to minimize the breakage (instead of whittling it like a stick). Worth a shot.
By all means, it's a gentle touch. :thumbsup:

D.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I like Staedtler Mars Lumograph 100 HB...although a buddy of mine was cleaning out his office and decided to throw a big box of pencils in the dumpster when I so gracefully swooped in and snagged them. Most of the pencils were junk until I ran across a few dozen of these...

L&C Hardtmuth inc. Blackie 357...look at the lead in these things :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts