Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now a days all carpenters use air guns to shoot nails to put up trim. The thing is why don't they use nail set? Our carpenters are younger guys, they use their nail guns and they never set their nails when the gun doesn't put the nail below the surface of the wood. I have ripped my fingers apart cause of these nail heads sticking up when I sand. I don't feel it's my job to set nails, I'm the Painter not a carpenter:rolleyes:
What do you think?

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts
Now a days all carpenters use air guns to shoot nails to put up trim. The thing is why don't they use nail set? Our carpenters are younger guys, they use their nail guns and they never set their nails when the gun doesn't put the nail below the surface of the wood. I have ripped my fingers apart cause of these nail heads sticking up when I sand. I don't feel it's my job to set nails, I'm the Painter not a carpenter:rolleyes:
What do you think?
You're telling the wrong people. Either tell the carpenter or the GC it's not your job. Or, since it's not your job, just leave em stand & paint over em. It's not your fault the job looks like chit, its the other guys, because he didn't do his job right.:whistling

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
It's not your fault the job looks like chit, its the other guys, because he didn't do his job right.:whistling

Screw that. Do that and I won't use you as a painter any more. If you know they don't set nails you have two options. Set the nail yourself or go talk to the carpenter if it's a consistent problem.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts
Screw that. Do that and I won't use you as a painter any more. If you know they don't set nails you have two options. Set the nail yourself or go talk to the carpenter if it's a consistent problem.

That was sarcasm young man, didn't ya notice the :whistling

To me, it's be kinda like me coming on here complaining that the floors weren't vacuumed before I laid the hardwood, or that the homeowner missed staples & tack strip nails when they removed the carpet. There's a lot of little things that others should have done, but didn't that I have to do to do my work for the day.

I just don't let it bog me down, I grab the appropriate tool for the job & spend 5-10 minutes completing it so I can get on with what I'm there to do in the first place.

Maybe I won't like doing what someone else was supposed to do, but I'll probably not utter a word about it to anyone, cause at the end of the day, it was probably one of the smallest problems I had to solve that day.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
What do you think?
I may be alone here, but I think it is the painter's job. Go through the job, look at what needs to be done and price accordingly.

It's funny, because I use spring loaded nail sets. Do you know where I bought them? Sherwin Williams. Go figure.

If I was GCing a job, I wouldn't want my carpenter being slowed down going back and resetting all the nails. I want him to do what he is getting paid for: install trim well. There could be a plethora of reasons why the nails didn't countersink. It doesn't take the painter long to go through the job and set the nails as he fills the holes.

Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts
Get a spring loaded nailset. If it's one or two nails the carpenter might not have even noticed. As for ripping your hand up when you sand, use your eyes.

Next you'll tell me it's the carpenters job to fill the nail holes.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,797 Posts
As pointed out if it's a few then do it and move on. If it's a bunch then call 'em on it. Ditto on keeping the eyes open also.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just had to give a shout-out to the spring loaded nail set! Best thing since sliced bread! AND,... If you shoot it,... YOU set it! IMO. I wouldn't leave a shiner for someone else to screw up!!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I may be alone here, but I think it is the painter's job. Go through the job, look at what needs to be done and price accordingly.

It's funny, because I use spring loaded nail sets. Do you know where I bought them? Sherwin Williams. Go figure.

If I was GCing a job, I wouldn't want my carpenter being slowed down going back and resetting all the nails. I want him to do what he is getting paid for: install trim well. There could be a plethora of reasons why the nails didn't countersink. It doesn't take the painter long to go through the job and set the nails as he fills the holes.

Just my opinion.
I find it rude, inconsiderate and unprofessional to leave something for the next guy to fix. As you say I expect everyone to do their job well. What a painter now has to look for unset nails when he bids a job? Last thing I want to do is drag around a hammer and nail set as a painter, something a carpenter should have readily available in his pouch.

So you don't mind slowing down the painter to fix what someone else gets paid to do correctly. He sets a nail faster than a carpenter? Maybe I'm alone here but I don't want to fix what someone else got paid to do no matter what it is.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I expect a painter to be able to set a few nails. If there's a problem, it ought to get caught by the G.C. before going to the painter.

If you're spending an hour in every room setting nails and adjusting trim, then talk to the G.C. If you're spending 10 minutes, then don't complain.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I expect a painter to be able to set a few nails. If there's a problem, it ought to get caught by the G.C. before going to the painter.

If you're spending an hour in every room setting nails and adjusting trim, then talk to the G.C. If you're spending 10 minutes, then don't complain.
I agree but the OP makes it sound like it's more than a couple nails. As a carpenter I know it's easy to miss unset nails, as a painter it can become annoying. If a carpenter SEES he just shot an unset nail he should set it.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Get a spring loaded nailset. If it's one or two nails the carpenter might not have even noticed. As for ripping your hand up when you sand, use your eyes.

Next you'll tell me it's the carpenters job to fill the nail holes.
My carpenter fills the nail holes to stay on good terms with the painter :whistling

Reactions: A&E Exteriors

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts
Painters job.

As long as it's field trimming. If it's done in the shop and brought in they should be filled.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I agree the carpenter should set any nails he sees, but they DO get missed on occasion. Get yourself a spring loaded nail set and keep it in your pocket. It's kinda funny, I showed one to a carpenter friend of mine yesterday and he'd never seen one :eek: Granted, he's only 28...

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Painters job.

As long as it's field trimming. If it's done in the shop and brought in they should be filled.
Since they can't seem to get along, I've thought about replacing both of them a few times.

I haven't done it yet because I'm not sure how I'd break the news to myself :whistling

Reactions: Rio and pinwheel
1 - 20 of 111 Posts