Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M a carpenter not an electrician, not wanting to bother my electrician on Sunday here goes, I wanna run a circuit in my basement for two freezers, I have some 12-2 and a couple receptacles, can i run both freezers on one circuit? I may put a fridge down there some day too. What size breaker or breakers do I need? The box is a cutler-hammer, thanks

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,664 Posts
Careful how you exact questions on here not pertaining to your trade. The tradesman get offended and feel you are taking away jobs from them :laughing::laughing:
All I can see is how much I can make when I go to his house and find two freezers and a fridge all on one 20a circuit and I get to charge fixing the problem of a constantly-tripping breaker. :whistling

Reactions: cwatbay

·
Registered
72 Posts
it seems a false economy to put two essential appliances on one circuit. the cost to sun two dedicated circuits has to be less than the potential loss when the breaker trips and two freezers full of food thaw out.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,664 Posts
Oh that was good!".......:clap:...:laughing:

B,
Then I could take the dollar Leo still owes me out of Ron's check and let Ron chase it instead of me. :whistling

Reactions: PrestigeR&D

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Maybe is a good answer. I see a lot of new fridges and freezers with amp ratings of under 4. So if they're all new, 12 amps total running. Maybe 80 amps momentary starting inrush if they all start at the exact same moment, which also probably won't trip a 20a breaker. Right 480?

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
I'd run 2 separate circuits. Since you have 12/2 already just use it. 20amp breakers. Make sure your using 20amp recepticles also. Your better to be safe than sorry with electrical. You only want to use 80% of the load capacity of circuit. Can't go wrong over killing it.

Edit

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
20amp*

-also take my advice as a carpenter with electrical expirence. Not licensed. "20 recepticles" probably not the best idea.
In this case it's not necessary, but in general there's no rule against putting 20 receptacles on a circuit....or 200....or 2000 for that matter. (and they can all be 15A receptacles, BTW. :thumbup: )

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
jproffer said:
In this case it's not necessary, but in general there's no rule against putting 20 receptacles on a circuit....or 200....or 2000 for that matter. (and they can all be 15A receptacles, BTW. :thumbup: )
Not sure if its code or not. But I had an inspector make me change a 15a receptacle to a 20a on a 20a circuit. If you plug an electric heater that pulls more than 15 the receptacle could fail. Unlikely it would, but could.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,664 Posts
Not sure if its code or not. But I had an inspector make me change a 15a receptacle to a 20a on a 20a circuit. If you plug an electric heater that pulls more than 15 the receptacle could fail. Unlikely it would, but could.
Show me a resi heater with a 20 amp cord cap.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts