Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started a project yesturday that included removing siding off of two walls. On one side after we tore off the siding revealed carpenter ants and their dust trails at least four feet up the building. (Cedar siding) The rim joist and the black jack in two spots were falling apart. This are reveled termite damage and termite trails to the dirt. THe foundation is only two inches above grade at most. THe HO said the dirt was on the siding when they moved in years ago. DO carpenter ants eat termites? How are they living so close to each other?

There is also a large dying tree maybe four feet away from this wall and a horrible drainage plan. The neighbors house sits 5 feet higher and slopes directly into this side of the house. Clearly a recipie for disaster. TOday we replaced the eaten rim and four feet of sheathng along the wall. THere was also a bug guy out to spray but he wants to wait to treat the termites until our addition is done. I wonder why they dont just cut down the tree and fix the drainage problem with a retaining wall or something? Either way we will build an addition on this house. Just curious as I have never ran across both pests on the same wall before.

·
owner
1 Posts
Been told diotamacious earth was a good treatment agains all insects/bugs and is natural-no cancer causing chemicals.My wife is battling Multiple Myloma and Plasma Leukemia.#1 cause is pesticides.Any feedback?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Last year I removed a Window for replacement.......what is falling on my head?? AHHHHHHHHHHHH crap.

Well at least I can make money off the Buggers :thumbsup:

I put Tyvek over the window (inside) and went to get spray I must have killed over 500!

Attachments

·
Soon to be senile
177 Posts
I was somewhat surprised to find that header packed with the things (picture only shows about 1/3rd...the rest fell out when I pulled that header open). This window is roughly 15 feet above grade with the house built on pilings. Whole wall was replaced and this was the only location where the ants were found.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was told by the last exterminator at our job that you should keep your eye out for the queens. Apparently they are extremely hard to come by and if you do find them you can sell them to researchers for some pretty large cash. Then again, maybe the guy just had sucked down too many chemicals :whistling

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Been told diotamacious earth was a good treatment agains all insects/bugs and is natural-no cancer causing chemicals.My wife is battling Multiple Myloma and Plasma Leukemia.#1 cause is pesticides.Any feedback?
Can't really answer that question but I did have a pretty good battle w/ termites in 2 spots at my house about 3 years after we bought it. Had to replace the rim and about 4 other joists in the living room!! That and the whole entry wall. All related to a poorly installed front door (termites LOVE moisture) and a poorly installed slider.

I'm not sure who :whistling, but someone came across some dursban and sprayed the crap out of the area around the house! I did do a bunch of reading on it, and it's been known to cause nerve damage. I'll make sure the kids don't drink it :thumbsup:! Termites are dead though :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
If you live in a heavily wooded area, the woodpeckers will let you know you have Carpenter ants, they wont leave till they eat them all. They will drill into your house and they make a lot bigger holes

·
Archbishop of Titipu
86 Posts
Reactions: Installs plus
1 - 15 of 15 Posts